[TR] Cannon Mtn Attempt- North Couloir 2/19/2006

Alpine_Tom

Climb: Cannon Mtn Attempt-North Couloir

Date of Climb: 2/19/2006

Trip Report:

It was more of a snow hike than a climb, but heck, it was a beautiful day for it!

Got to the trailhead (which is now on Icycle Road) around 7:30, and headed out. The approach road is closed, of course, but well packed down from snowmobiles.

Got to Stuart Lake trailhead by about 8:30, put on the snowshoes, and started up the fire road past the gate.

The road is actually in pretty good shape, aside from some washouts and patches of slide alder. If you decide you want to give this a go, do yourself and others a favor, and bring along a machete!

Eventually, after the road switches back and goes through 50 yards of especially heinous slide alder, you leave the road and head up the hill, due south. It was clear that the snow was way too powdery and unconsolidated to try the N. Couloir, unless I wanted to drown in powder snow, so I headed on up the NW ridge. By 1:00, I was at 5500' over 3000' feet from the summit, so I turned back.

On the way back down along the fire road, I dropped straight down the hillside, and gained the road somewhere east of the bridge (I found a log to cross over) and headed back down.

A beautiful day in the hills, great views of Cashmere and Stuart.

Gear Notes:

snowshoes, ski poles.

Approach Notes:

road to Stuart Lake trailhead was closed, but easy walking.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic