the amount of snow up to colchuck lake/stuart lake?

highclimb

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100% speculation here, but I would guess that right now (today) you could probably walk on top of a firm surface with just a little fresh on top. However, if it should turn warm, or rain, or both, the snow will soften up to the point that within a day or two you could be postholing big time.

we were up a mtneer creek last sunday... no sno to the trailhead. little bit of snow, was frozen at 6 a.m. till the bridge at 2 miles, more snow, still frozen, till the colchuck lake trail-branch. snow through the big talus and throughout the forest hillside one hikes to the lake was frozen good in the a.m. with minimal punch through. good coverage still making for a rapid ascent to the lake. more snow, not a wholelot though around the lake, lake frozen, colchuck glacier, asgaard pass good snow coverage. was snowing a bit, with lots of wind. snow was still o.k. on the hike out. super beautiful area right now... not alot of folks either. didn't go to stuart lk. soon... hope this gives some info

bobbyperu, did you perceive avalanche danger in gulley going up to Asgaard Pass? I'm heading up there soon but plan to skip the traverse due to ava worries. I kind of figured its windloaded all winter and might be ready to go in May.

What do you think?

I think I personally know about 20 people (including myself) who have either slogged up or descended Aasgard Pass this winter and spring. You just have to make your own assesment as you go. Beta here will only insure that you stay at home eh? The last time I was there was 9 days ago.

Mike is right - you'll have to make your own assessment when you are there. One thing to keep in mind is that, particularly at this time of the year, the degree of avalanche hazard changes quickly. What is safe in the morning, when frozen, may produce wet snow avalanches within a couple of hours of receiving sunshine. Freshly blown snow, unsafe after a storm, will settle considerably after as little as 24 hours. Etc. Even today's report may not apply tomorrow.

Went up to Colchuck L. on Sunday. Snow was mixture of fairly firm and mushy. Worst part was picking my way thru the woods after the trail split and crossing Mountaineer Creek and getting up to the lake. Lots of punching thru, falling into moats around downed trees, muttering to myself, etc. After a little bit more of the same contouring around the lake, noticed tracks going across the lake, decided I might just try that. Poked at it w/ my trekking poles, kicked at it, weighted it, seemed fine, so I cruised around fairly close to shore. Frozen solid still. Some tracks went almost directly across the middle of the lake. Saw a bunch of people descending from Aasgard later, so it must go. I went up to Dragontail/Colchuck Col. Snow fairly mushy on top, more solid underneath, didn't see any significant slides while I was up there. Freakin' awesome 2000+' sit down glisade from the Col back to the lake, almost a straight shot, barely had to walk at all on the way down. After tagging Colchuck, walk up on snow at this point.

Did the Enchantments traverse with my two sisters and girlfriend on Saturday (Nolanr, our tracks were probably among those you saw on Colchuck Lake). Just over 13 hours from Snow Creek trailhead to Mtnr. Creek trailhead, a great time for three who had never done anything like it before!

Up the Snow Creek side, the snow started in patches just past Snow Creek Wall and gradually increased. The switchbacks before the first bridge were ravaged by trees taken down by some huge avalanche a few months ago; it was easier to walk up the logs than try to follow the trail. Snow stayed reasonably firm most places despite the hot weather; we all took snowshoes, but didn't need them. Asgard pass was powdery with a thin crust; littly avy danger and a cruise to get down. All lakes except Nada and Snow were easily strong enough to walk on. Worst postholing down in the woods below Colchuck Lake. Dirt patches began to appear in earnest at the first Mtnr. Creek crossing, but patches of snow continued sporadically all the way down to the trailhead.

Beautiful day!

Agreed, snowshoes weren't necessary. Daylward, was that you heading down the road on a mountain bike Sat. evening? If so, I passed you going uphill in the green Sub. wagon. Had an almost meeting w/ a fellow cc.comer. I saw several ladies hanging around the parking lot for quite a while 'til the bike guy came back w/ a car to pick them up. I left them alone, honest. I crashed at the TH that night.

[ 05-16-2002, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: nolanr ]

Yep, that must have been me. I don't remember seeing a green Subaru, guess I was blinded by speed. [big Grin] It took about 45 minutes to go down, get the car, and bring it back up. And amazingly enough, we didn't get a ticket in the Snow Creek parking lot without a pass! No note or envelope or anything. I was stunned!

quote:

Originally posted by daylward:

Yep, that must have been me. I don't remember seeing a green Subaru, guess I was blinded by speed.
[big Grin]
It took about 45 minutes to go down, get the car, and bring it back up. And amazingly enough, we didn't get a ticket in the Snow Creek parking lot without a pass! No note or envelope or anything. I was stunned!

u r a criminal!!!!

[Eek!][laf][big Drink][Cool][Wink][Razz]