Split Boards...

Kitergal

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mighta jumped the gun a bit, a 166 is a tad long, not undoable just long compared to your 54, assuming your not a "bigger" lady. (I don't mean fat just tall and strong... wink.gif) Two of my buds have 66's and they're both in the 6' 170ish range, I have a 73 and like it fine. If your're an aggresive rider you won't be disappointed. Set your stance back from your normal setup, it will help.

Home jobs suck and still cost a fortune. The $150 split kit does not include the $100+ skins.

Priors are hot but cost $930.

Have fun out there, splitting rocks! Now buy a snowmachine and we might let you into our "club" wink.gif...

- bigdrink.gif

That board sounds a bit big for you. Really depends on what your terrain your planning on riding. Wide open bowls/or glades will be fine, especially with deep pow. Tight trees or steep chutes are gonna be a bitch with a board that big. Voile makes a 159, that would fit you better. I'm pretty sure you got the Freeride, I don't think Mt. Gun's come in 166, just 161. As far as boots/binding, just use your resort set-up for now, to get used to it all. Strap bindings work just find for skin mode. But it does take some practice. Practice your transition at home before you brave the elements, it'll save you time. I've got it down to about 5 minutes, even in wind. Get yourself some collapsible(sp) poles so you can put them in your pack on the way down. Forget the ice axe, but you'll need poles for skinning/booting. Remember, if it's too steep put the boards on your back and hike, it's safer. Also consider putting tail clips on your skins, they'll last a lot longer. It'll pay to learn how to take care of your skins, treat them kindly. I've been splitting for 3 seasons now and have learned a lot through trial/error. Feel free to pm with any questions/concerns you have, I'd be happy to help. I just put tail clips on and could walk you through it. Have fun!

Yep, plenty of "buyers remorse" goin' round... I just dumped a lotta money on some new ski gear... ahh well, the big tax refund coming in a couple weeks will let me recoup some of it.

And you definitely want adjustable poles, KG, both for the uphills... and also perhaps sometimes for the downhills, while you're getting used to b/c conditions. The only splitboarder I've gone b/c with used them on the downhills this one time in really deep pow thru the trees... I told him I promised that, if I ever met his inbounds-snowboarder buddies, I wouldn't tell them I saw him using poles. wink.gif I love telling that story (about that promise ). hahaha.gif

PS.. what Jon said. grin.gif

Hey Kitergal, As far as I know you got three options, you got the Voile Splits, Burton and then make your once with Volie Split Kit.

I have experience with the Voile split which I like a lot. The downside to it is there is a lot more flex than normal boards. You don't notice the flex in powder so much, but when you get into Cascade cement or hardpack you don't have as much control. Upside to the Volie split is it is cheaper than the Burton.

I checked out the Burton boards and I like the way the binding system looks, but I have never tried using it so I am not sure how it works out in the bc. In the store it seemed to work well.

The third option is taking an old board and buying a conversion kit. I met a few people who have done this and have it work well. downside is that you can have delamination issues if you don't seal you cut well. The nice thing is you can get a stiff board which might help with flex issues.

Being Kitergal I am surprised you are looking into split riding since there is kite board which eliminates having to ski up hill and as long as there is wind you have continuous riding.

Have fun.

Well I guess this info is a little late hopefully someone else can benefit from it. Kitergal have fun tearing it up out there I jealous.

Don't stress about new collapsible poles. Get yourself a pair of 80's vintage downhill poles in the right length -through garage sales, craigslist, or even ebay you should be able to find these for $10 or less. They might even be pink. The $100 flicklock whatever jobs can wait for later. When you ride down, of course, you'll have to strap non-collapsible poles to your pack, and they will point up into the sky a bit, but it's rarely any sort of issue.

Speaking of mountaineering boots and split boards. I've used the Voile SD adapter with limied success with mounaineering plastics and great success with AT boots.

Has anyone found one model or another of mountaineering boot to be better for splitboarding? My issue was with Scarpa Alphas and doing heel sides. They have a large V notch in the back.

Thanks.

-r