Split Boards...

Kitergal

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, I too have fallen off the horse. I went tele skiing last night for the first time. I picked up the skis for dirt cheap on steepandcheap.com a few months back. Finally got around to using them and it was a lot of fun. I still want a split board, but teleskiing does seem to make for a fun alternative. Plus it is fun to learn something new again. I hadn't been downhill skiing for 12+ years, but it came back pretty naturally. The tele part is taking some work, but seems manageable.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright!! Practically a month later, 2 resort days on the groomers and I finally did my first BC trip with my split!

I LOVE IT! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! The splitting, heading up hill..who would of thunk you could ski uphill?? Yeah..sooo sweet!! Love the skins, love the split, love it all.

Then got to the top of panorama pt. yesterday....put the board back together...FUN! A little rough with the snow lodged into places...but with the screw thingie...super easy to clear it out and put it back together! SUPER FUN! Love it.

BUT...now who's gonna teach me how to snowboard in powder? WTF OVER!! I thought going down was supposed to be the fun part? I seriously struggled sooo hard. I had no clue that riding in powder was SOOO FREAK'IN different than riding on the groomers. I mean heck..I ski crystal..they don't groom crystal! WTF!

yeah..so..those of you that board in pow...please explain. WTF OVER!! I'm dying here. I was on by butt Buried more than on my board shredding. HATED IT! The more I would struggle to get back on my feet, the further down I would end up buried. Sucked. Seriously..HATED coming down...loved going up.

Please explain the "stance" the front to rear leg weight ratio, what-ever it is that is the "secret to Powder shredding". Seriously...I need help!

-If your rear binding isn't all the way back, move it there. Most likely you will want your front binding either back as far as it will go or one hole forward, it depends on how wide you like your stance.

-Be sure your board is waxed. Make sure you scrape ALL the frozen ice particles on the base of your board every time you remove your skins, they act like cleats and will make your run miserable. (Voile should have included a little plastic scrapper, bring it with you always you will need it!)

-Before you start to initiate turns, pick up enough speed to where your board "planes out", leaning back more than on hardpack should get you there. Remember, speed is your friend. After you plane out shift your weight back forward slightly to initiate your turns but not so much your nose dives. Keep your speed up!

- bigdrink.gif

What slaphappy said

+ make sure and keep your weight over your back leg...just like riding powder in bounds.

+ pan point is south facing, no? So, you might have also been experiencing some crust?? If so...keep your speed up to power through the crust.

+ keep it steep....the longish flat back to the parking lot from pan point is never all that fun...especially in powder. Getting up from a fall in powder is always easier on a steeper slope.

Hmm, I would agree with what others have said, although I don't think you are retarded. Boarding in the backcountry just takes a little practice. I had a similiar experience my first time in the b/c with my split, and mine is probably too long which makes it harder to turn. Keep going out, it'll get easier with practice in different snow conditions.

yeah...the board is def too long and heavy for me....but I'm not gonna give up on it! (I went from a 154 to a 166 GULP!)

And yup.it was a layer of crust.

Thanks you guys! Seriously..I was SOOO frusterated by the time I got to the parking lot I almost left the board behind!!

Love ya all!! Except for DH who called me retarded!! smile.gif

This thread has gotten funnier than I feel when my board is in split mode.

kitergal you are correct - skis are for wussies. Now get out there and snowboard and don't come back here complaining about it.

***and read what slaphappy had to say about the scraper... always carry it... to add to that always be aware of what is going on with the base of your snowboard. Make sure it is clear before you ride and check it at the bottom where it should be free of any snow/ice. Always be sure your board is waxed - it is not worth skinning that far to not have enough wax on your board. Trust me. madgo_ron.gif I got my new board about the same time as you. Four rides on factory wax means it's time for some fresh wax.

Now go freakin snowboarding.

I have some Riachle hard boots, that work great for split boards or regular with plate bindings, they are about a 1/2 size too small for me so they are about size 9.5 to 10. take $30, very similar but a little lighter than these

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/Merchant2...gory_Code=boots

PM me, in or around Everett to N. Seattle

Edited by shapp

When riding a long( for you) board, setting the bindings "all the way back" is a total mistake.

That is something you do to make a little board work in deep snow.

I am 5' 5'' and I have rode boards from 165- 180 for years.

A longboard works best with a no or only a slight setback.... Here's why:

A freestyle board's holepacks are usually centered on the board, a longboard's are usually aready set back from center.

Take a tape measure and measure the distance from the nose to the center of the front set of inserts, then do the same for the tail/ rear set.

This gives you the factory setback, where, if propery designed, also happens to be the center of the sidecut.

This is where the board should be mounted.

Make equal adjustments in/ out from this point to accomidate your stance width.

Your stance width should be slightly wider than your shoulders, a comfortable, "action pose" width.

What I learned my first time boarding down from Anvil Rock;

Pack changes your balance alot on toeside turns smile.gif

Lean back a little to keep tip up.

Stop facing the slope to facilitate arising.

Much easier to power thru chopped up powder on snowboard than skis - ie at Pan Point.

63128_IMG_1050-med.JPG

after skiing for 25 years i have to say that there is no advantage of a snowboard over skis. i would really see it the other way, anyone that says different can't ski. granted i have several friends on splitboards and they have a ton of fun. #1 thing to remember is that equipment is never your excuse for poor ability. have fun.

after sliding down hills on sticks for 30+ years it became apparent to me that I would probably never master them. after 5 snowboarding trips I am positive its easier for me to ride thru chopped up powder than to ski (or whatever it was i was doing all those years) it. So sorry to have made a misleading statement in my earlier post my fourlegged friend.

To solve the weight issue in skin mode go to a local stadium, office building, or QueenAnne - anywhere you can run stairs till you puke. Once during the week run those stairs til you can't lift your legs anymore. Bump that up to twice a week and soon your skier friends will be lagging behind you on the skin up.

you might consider a bit of your own advice cause my old ass can crush you with joint in one hand and PBR headbuster in the other... evils3d.gif

- bigdrink.gif

Now isn't that the truth... I keep thinking that if i make you drink enough pbr I will be able to keep up with you on the up track.

bigdrink.gif

bigdrink.gif