Split Boards...

Kitergal

so doing some research here...my next board will have to be split...and so far..I've only seen two main brands, voile and Burton S. Has anyone used either?? If I ride a 154 regular...what would I use for a split? I'm noticing 163 is the smallest (so far that I've found)...it it for the ski portion that it's so much bigger? do I use my mtnering boots or my snowboard boots? I'm not exactly seeing bindings that work for actual snowboarding boots..but again, I'm just starting the search!!

Advice please...especially from anyone who is currently riding one!!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are skis frown.gif

I don't own a split, but have seriously considered buying one for a few years (went so far as ordering and canceling b/c it was backordered). Couloir magazine had a review of a bunch of boards a few months back. The new burtons using Voile hardware sound pretty good.

Any snowboard bindings will work as they all mount on a standrad 4 hole pattern. Unless you have steep ascent ambitions, I would think that some good stiff snowboard boots would be a lot better than most mountaineering boots (supposedly sportiva Nuptse are pretty good at snowboarding and climbing). I snowboarded down from stellar falls at alpental the other day in my ice boots, and the performance suffered dramatically.

I think Voile makes boards in the upper 150's lengths. Unless you are super light, or very new to snowboarding, I dont think something as long as 163 would be too bad even. Based on what I've read 5-10 cm longer than your resort length is typical (more if you ride abnormally short boards in bounds).

Thanks burni!

Which boards have you looked at? I'm seriously thinking of getting one at the end of the season (assuming the prices will drop a little!)

Any bindings work...even in ski mode? that's a sweet deal if true! I'm not sure how I would ski up in my snowboard bindings tho....

is there a shop in/around seattle that knows anything about them? so I can ask and touch and feel? So far all the ones up at crystal and snoqualmie give me blank stares!

Thanks again!

Jon..YOU SUCK!

-M

All the feedback I got was to avoid the burton locking system.

Get the Prior board with the Voile locking system was the advice I got from multiple sources.

Until an experienced rider said not to get a split board, but get shorty approach skis (110 cm) instead. His reasoning:

-you get to ride the board you're used to

-way cheaper

-way faster skinning, and faster switch to downhill

so i'll demo both set ups and then decide

I've skied several times this year with a splitboarder from TAY.com who took an old board and sliced it in half with a circular saw. He had to put epoxy on the inside edges to prevent core from being exposed and then add a set of Voile splitboard bindings which are sold as a kit. I believe that Burton ditched their whole binding setup this year and are now using Voile's for their boards. I also met one other dude who has been boarding for 20+ years and did the same thing. They both love it. Not sure if that is an option for you, but you can get the Voile kit for around $150.00 and a cheap board for around that too and you would be set. Better than dropping $800+ for a ready made board, IMHO.

The bindings mount on a metal plate. The plate can be oriented in snowboard mode or ski mode. In ski mode, there is only a single pin attachment, allowing for a free heel.

I was going to just get a Voile cause you get the hardware, board and skins all together. They have too models now, with the major difference being stiffness. The Prior sounds pretty good too. Apparently Never Summer (CO company thats made boards for a long time) will also do custom splits now.

FYI SC, the new burtons use Voile hardware. They canned their hardware development and are just doing the boards now.

I havent used em, but the approach skis seem like a silly option. Less float and more weight on the downhill. This is just my perception from what I've heard though.

buyers remorse...so I read on that forum that you sent me AJ that you should buy the board 5-10 cm larger than what you currently ride...umm..it's 12. hope I don't die!! smile.gif But all the reviews pointed towards the 166...sooo...I'll make sure to report back to ya'all!!

umm..now really..I don't need poles do I? Like my hiking poles and/or ice axe should work..right??