Seeking info on Polish climber

Cairns

Today at Lighthouse Park in West Vancouver I met some young climbers, one from Switzerland and one from Vancouver. On the bus trip to the park they got directions on where to climb from someone they met by chance. They said he was an older person, Polish, named Miroslav (or possibly Miloslav), who had climbed Makalu. Does anyone recognize who that might be?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today at Lighthouse Park in West Vancouver I met some young climbers, one from Switzerland and one from Vancouver. On the bus trip to the park they got directions on where to climb from someone they met by chance. They said he was an older person, Polish, named Miroslav (or possibly Miloslav), who had climbed Makalu. Does anyone recognize who that might be?

I think he's in town for Eastern European Night at the VIMFF, Miroslav Smid?

I think he's in town for Eastern European Night at the VIMFF, Miroslav Smid?

Well, if so maybe Piotr will know. Maybe Allan gave him directions to the climbing at LHP which he passed along to the guys on the bus. Maybe a Swiss citizen can't tell the difference between Polish and Czech. All of these mysteries must and will be resolved. One thing for sure, the climbing at Lighthouse would be below radar for CPB.

So it turns out Dru was right, there is an Eastern European night at vimff. I went to hear Piotr talk about his climbing life and try to track down Makalu Miroslaw. There were about 100 people and all speaking non-English.

Finally I saw someone I know, a nurse, and learned she has been the organizer of Eastern European night for the past 8 years.

I didn't know there were going to be movies. The first one was called Grandpa (Praszczura) about an 80 year old parapenter. I learned my first word of Polish but it turns out to be useless because none of my Polish colleagues recognize it and they deny it is Polish. Praszczur does appear in 2 Polish dictionaries but in one it means great grandson and in the other great great grandfather's father. I can see why a person wouldn't often come across the word.

The movie about the Grandpa was made by a Miroslaw Dembinski.

Another interesting finding was that all winter ascents of 8000 meter peaks have been made by Polish expeditions.

At intermission I saw one other person I know, Don Serl, and he offered a theory courtesy of the Burgess brothers that Poles are good at high altitude because of being used to the necessary diet of sausage.

The nurse organizer of the evening thought that the Makalu climber might be someone called Mirek who apparently fits the description given by the kids on the bus.

I don't know yet whether this Miroslav Makalu infirm oldster series will converge.

• 2 weeks later...
So it turns out Dru was right, there is an Eastern European night at vimff. I went to hear Piotr talk about his climbing life and try to track down Makalu Miroslaw. There were about 100 people and all speaking non-English.

Finally I saw someone I know, a nurse, and learned she has been the organizer of Eastern European night for the past 8 years.

I didn't know there were going to be movies. The first one was called Grandpa (Praszczura) about an 80 year old parapenter. I learned my first word of Polish but it turns out to be useless because none of my Polish colleagues recognize it and they deny it is Polish. Praszczur does appear in 2 Polish dictionaries but in one it means great grandson and in the other great great grandfather's father. I can see why a person wouldn't often come across the word.

The movie about the Grandpa was made by a Miroslaw Dembinski.

Another interesting finding was that all winter ascents of 8000 meter peaks have been made by Polish expeditions.

At intermission I saw one other person I know, Don Serl, and he offered a theory courtesy of the Burgess brothers that Poles are good at high altitude because of being used to the necessary diet of sausage.

The nurse organizer of the evening thought that the Makalu climber might be someone called Mirek who apparently fits the description given by the kids on the bus.

I don't know yet whether this Miroslav Makalu infirm oldster series will converge.

554471-MirosławKuraś.doc