Garibaldi Neve

rokstar

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People usually ski to the schrund on the NE face and boot it from there, but if the snow's good and you like the steeps, then take your skis up and give 'er! It's too steep to skin up, though. NE face is the best descent in my mind, it's a more continuous run than the E face. Plus more direct to the top.

The Neve was in fine condition this weekend with lots of people doing overnight and day trips. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Ring Creek is well bridged, as are crevasses near the Sharkfin.

The Garibaldi Lake trail is very icy in spots. Most people were hiking up it rather than skinning. Skiing down it by headlamp was not pleasant. Full snow coverage starts at about the 2km mark. With high clearance and good tires or chains it is possible to drive to within a few hundred meters of the Rubble Creek parking lot.

The road up to the Diamond Head parking lot is currently in good shape, and easily driven by any vehicle. The trail up to Red Heather meadows and on to Elfin Lakes is well packed down by snowshoers.

Well, six of us (three going each way) did the traverse on Sunday, but none of us climbed Garibaldi. At midday, my group was just getting up out of Ring Creek and onto the Bishop Glacier. The other group was starting the climb from Sentinel Bay up to the col below Glacier Pikes.

Must one go all the way to the parking lot on the far side and come all the way back to their starting point to say they did the neve twice in a day? Or if I skied from elfin to glacier pikes, back to Opal cone, back to the pikes and then home via elfin can I say I did the neve four times in a day? smirk.gif

Edited by Ponzini

for reals twice in a day you should start from point A and travel to point B twice with a drive around in the middle. going A-B-A is cheating. you can bet the "twice in a day" spearhead crowd don't turn around to retrace steps but rather suck it up and chairlift up blackcomb to restart once they come down whistler the first time.

you can bet the "twice in a day" spearhead crowd don't turn around to retrace steps but rather suck it up and chairlift up blackcomb to restart once they come down whistler the first time.

Even for the really fast folks (4-5 hours), they'd be cutting it close to catch the second ride before the uppper lifts closed.

if I skied from elfin to glacier pikes, back to Opal cone, back to the pikes and then home via elfin can I say I did the neve four times in a day?

I'm pretty sure I've read/heard that many of the "X times in a day" events on the Spearhead involve slogging back and forth between the East Col and Singing Pass, with a final run down the Singing Pass trail.

What's the two-pack? Garibaldi & Mamquam? The Chieften & Garf's?

The proposed challenge was to ski the Spearhead one day, and the Neve the next, or vice versa.