• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
johnh

Mt. Fuji

I going to be in Japan on business the whole month of Sept. near Mt. Fuji. Has anyone done it? What were the logistics of the climb?

Hello,

I made the climb twice (1998, 1999). It's more of a long switchback hike through throngs of people. When I was there the official climbing season was July through August. I was stationed there in the Navy, so the trip transportation was provided by navy. High winds, clouds, and rain were the only potential show stoppers (the Japanese officials will close the mountain in "bad" weather conditions). The dog route begins at a hotel/resturant called the "fifth station" (5500' -I can't remember exactly). From there it's about a 3-4 hour hike to the crater rim. Be sure to buy a hiking staff at the 5th station. For a nominal fee, you can have a brand placed on the staff at various points along the route and at the temple on the summit--it looks pretty cool. This is truly a freak show people watching excursion. Some notable examples at 10,000 ft:

An 80 year old lady in sandels, shorts, and a cotton tee shirt standing next to a guy in a full-on one piece gortex suit/back pack, and petzel helmet.

A dad administering oxygen in a can to his puking 9-11 year old son (no shit- you can buy canned oxygen).

The same dad taking a deep drag on his cig and a hit of O's for himself.

A British guy in polyester shorts,black dress shoes, and black socks asking my buddy if one 12 oz water bottle was enough for the "hill".

A Japanese travel group can hook you up with a motor bus ride to and from Fujisan.

Gear notes: Light g-tex top/bottom, typical "day hike" synthetic clothing, 2 liters of water (you can buy more on the summit-or beer on the summit if you like- from the crater rim vendor shanty town).

LOTS of film for your anthropology class-or for Jerry Springer show.

Climbed in September 2001, The mountain was official closed - Ha Ha, just try to close a mountain! The crowds are much less then. We stayed at the village at the train station for off season low prices. If you need anymore info PM me.

An 80 year old lady in sandels, shorts, and a cotton tee shirt standing next to a guy in a full-on one piece gortex suit/back pack, and petzel helmet.

A dad administering oxygen in a can to his puking 9-11 year old son (no shit- you can buy canned oxygen).

The same dad taking a deep drag on his cig and a hit of O's for himself.

A British guy in polyester shorts,black dress shoes, and black socks asking my buddy if one 12 oz water bottle was enough for the "hill".

A Japanese travel group can hook you up with a motor bus ride to and from Fujisan.

classic thumbs_up.gif