johnh

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I made the climb twice (1998, 1999). It's more of a long switchback hike through throngs of people. When I was there the official climbing season was July through August. I was stationed there in the Navy, so the trip transportation was provided by navy. High winds, clouds, and rain were the only potential show stoppers (the Japanese officials will close the mountain in "bad" weather conditions). The dog route begins at a hotel/resturant called the "fifth station" (5500' -I can't remember exactly). From there it's about a 3-4 hour hike to the crater rim. Be sure to buy a hiking staff at the 5th station. For a nominal fee, you can have a brand placed on the staff at various points along the route and at the temple on the summit--it looks pretty cool. This is truly a freak show people watching excursion. Some notable examples at 10,000 ft:

An 80 year old lady in sandels, shorts, and a cotton tee shirt standing next to a guy in a full-on one piece gortex suit/back pack, and petzel helmet.

A dad administering oxygen in a can to his puking 9-11 year old son (no shit- you can buy canned oxygen).

The same dad taking a deep drag on his cig and a hit of O's for himself.

A British guy in polyester shorts,black dress shoes, and black socks asking my buddy if one 12 oz water bottle was enough for the "hill".

A Japanese travel group can hook you up with a motor bus ride to and from Fujisan.

Gear notes: Light g-tex top/bottom, typical "day hike" synthetic clothing, 2 liters of water (you can buy more on the summit-or beer on the summit if you like- from the crater rim vendor shanty town).

LOTS of film for your anthropology class-or for Jerry Springer show.

An 80 year old lady in sandels, shorts, and a cotton tee shirt standing next to a guy in a full-on one piece gortex suit/back pack, and petzel helmet.

A dad administering oxygen in a can to his puking 9-11 year old son (no shit- you can buy canned oxygen).

The same dad taking a deep drag on his cig and a hit of O's for himself.

A British guy in polyester shorts,black dress shoes, and black socks asking my buddy if one 12 oz water bottle was enough for the "hill".

A Japanese travel group can hook you up with a motor bus ride to and from Fujisan.

classic thumbs_up.gif