Helmets

gyselinck

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a half dome and like it - although my first one cracked after inadvertantly being stepped on. My biggest requirement for safety gear is not noticing it when I'm wearing it, which makes me more likely to don it in the 1st place. So I'd say try on a few side by side to see which one feels best/has better vision, etc.

Ecrins Heavy! I wore one for years and no problems recently upgraded forget the type but its so light I dont notice it and didnt realize how heavy and uncomfortable the Ecrin was.

Ithink its all about fit, their cheap enough to replace if they wear out ealrier than other modles

If a helmet breaks after being stepped on I wouldn't call that "wearing out". What if your helmet "wears out" when you are half way up Rockfall Peak?

I found the Ecrin to uncomfortably heavy also. The Edelrid Ultralight seems to me the most comfortable of the old style bucket helmets and it's not too heavy at 14 ounces.

The Petzl Elios is lighter still, fits closer to the head, seems tough enough to withstand repeated blows, and best of all it seems to protect better against side impacts than the older buckets. This is because (on my head at any rate) it seems to fit much more snugly; the straps seem to support better against side forces, and the foam probably adds an extra degree of force absorption.

The half dome seems similar to the elios but doesn't fit my head anywhere near as snugly, and the shell seems to be less robust. cantfocus.gifcantfocus.gif

I found the Ecrin to uncomfortably heavy also. The Edelrid Ultralight seems to me the most comfortable of the old style bucket helmets and it's not too heavy at 14 ounces.

The Petzl Elios is lighter still, fits closer to the head, seems tough enough to withstand repeated blows, and best of all it seems to protect better against side impacts than the older buckets. This is because (on my head at any rate) it seems to fit much more snugly; the straps seem to support better against side forces, and the foam probably adds an extra degree of force absorption.

The half dome seems similar to the elios but doesn't fit my head anywhere near as snugly, and the shell seems to be less robust. cantfocus.gifcantfocus.gif

I have smashed 2 petzl elios either on the approach or on route in the past year... didn't take a lot of force to do it either. With that said I still climb in them as I too find them comfortable.

With that said I think Twight said it best in his how to book... he argues that though lighter those style helmets (elios, half dome, etc) absorb the energy by deforming/exploding where as the Ecrin/older style helmets will keep its shape after most hits. I believe he recommends a Ecrin or something similar.

I am in the market for a new helmet. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about black diamond's half dome. I've heard only bad things about it. The reason I was looking at that vs. the others is that I get good deals through my job with bd.

I have a Half Dome I will sell you for $10 if you want. It's been used maybe 6 times - minor cosmetic scratches, nothing more (I'm serious). It just looks dorky on me, and my principle requirement of a helmet is that it not look dorky... I've reverted back to my old Ultralight, and am moving soon, so getting rid of unused shit.

PM if interested.

EDIT: Helmet has been sold.

Edited by Geek_the_Greek

• 2 weeks later...