[TR] Snoqalamnie Mtn- NY Gully 2/12/2006

layton

Climb: Snoqalamnie Mtn-NY Gully

Date of Climb: 2/12/2006

Trip Report:

Fourth time was the charm! I think there are plenty of TR's on this climb, so I'll just add my .02 Conditions were good enough to get up it, obviously. I found a square foot of ice for a few threads of a screw so that was a plus. Lots of digging for mystery holds so the pitches took some time. We used a 70m and did it in 6 pitches, but less if we didn't go an "alternate" way near the top. Marcus did some cool splitter crack layback carefully avoiding a loose death chockstone. there was a bail biner on an orange nut partway up. this is just after the ramp pitches near the ridgecrest. Then I went straight up to the left summit up a splitter jam crack. Descending from the top was very very tricky. The best approach in good avy conditions is up the phantom slide. I can provide GPS coordinates thanks to Alex (thanks Alex). But it's pretty much straight up from the parking lot all the way to the ridge you drop in from. The climb is fun, pretty sustained, some tricky and not so good gear, and excellent moss sticks. it took about 12 hours car to car, less with rope drag issues.

Marcus has way better pics, but the cd he burned me doesn't work. my pics are kinda blah. the 1st was taken a while ago, but looks about the same.

The route minus the 1st and part of the 2nd pitch

136ny_gully.jpg

Source lake

136IMG_2047.JPG

Mt Garfield

136IMG_2056.JPG

Marcus on the Ramp

136IMG_2044.JPG

Marcus following

136IMG_2054.JPG

The descent of the top

136IMG_2058.JPG

Gear Notes:

60-70m rope

13-15 slings

a screw

a few blades and LA's

some nuts

set o' cams small to 3", two one inch and 1/2 inch cams

several tri-cams (invaluable)

Approach Notes:

up phantom slide

no misery shoes required...about 3 hours from car to climbing.

a couple hours or less from the top to the car

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...