Colorado Guidebooks

fern

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since there is so much climbing in Colorado, the best thing would be to acquire the Rock Climbing Colorado book (equivalent of the Smoot book for Washington) which gives an overview of the major areas and most popular routes and then get specific guides to areas you are interested in. Boulder area should be prime then and think about Lumpy Ridge (coolish until May) if you like trad granite.

I guess the site outgrew it's name, but I thought it was somehow appropriate given Boulder's self image as the epicenter of all things climbing.

You hit McCurdy Park Tower yet? Worth spending a three-day weekend there once the monsoon/lightning season starts to ease-up somewhat.

But I guess I should really be posting this in the new Hijack Fern's Threads Forum

Have you climbed in Eldo? The South Platte?

April you can sometimes get the epic front range dumps (once every year or 2), but usually if that happens it snows hard for a day or two then melts off quickly. Otherwise it's in great shape those months. If you haven't climbed Eldo, you should. It's metamorphosed sandstone, but doesn't feel or climb like "sandstone". I have Rossiter's Eldo book you could borrow and could give you recomendations, beta etc. The South Platte is also awesome. Granite, cracks and faces, clean, not too many people, lots of crags, towers. Both beautiful areas with lots of amazing quality short + long trad routes.

But maybe you already know this... smile.gif

Edited by crazy_t

mmm...purdy rock.

no, i have not climbed it before but looks like something i should... thumbs_up.gif

1304519_medium_f85dcf.jpg

I think it may be my single favorite spot in Colorado, and I'm sad I didn't manage to get there for more than a single outing.

The camping is Garden of Eden quality, the scenery is stunning, the approach is just long enough to weed out the crowds, and the climbing is just incredible. Mostly grade-IIIish choose-your-own adventure type climbing. If I get a second I''ll scan and post some old pics.

Word. You can actually hang onto them for the full trip if you want though, as looking at them just makes me depressed. I thought I was going to break down and cry when I watched a program on "The Rocky Mountain Amtrak Tour" on New Hampshire Public TV the other night.

Hey Fern,

I would strongly suggest talking to some locals for some beta in Black Canyon, long, long, long committing routes with finicky weather that time of year. I'll be at Shelf on the second and third weekends of March if the wx complies.

Also don't get the Climbing Colorado guidebook, found its only useist for camping toilet paper now.

thanks. I am sure they are extra long and committing and the weather super double finicky, on account of it being Colorado and all.

Don't underrate CO. It may not be as big as BC, except on road maps, but you have to remember how many super duper climbers live there.

Sorry to have nothing of substance to add unless you want to borrow or preferably keep all my old Climbing and R&I.