WA state info?

BachelorTravis

Hi Cascadeclimbers!

I am moving to Seattle from Tennessee in the coming year; I'm super excited to be returning to a state with mountains (I'm originally from Ft Collins).

I'm told Washington has a lot climbing. Can anyone recommend any local guidebooks? I am particularly interested in Via Ferrata type climbing so if any of the guidebooks detail Via Ferrata climbs please list those. I did some in a recent trip to France and I loved it!

Trav

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Washington needs more Via Ferrata style climbs, especially at Index, the Stuart Range, and Washington Pass. With your experience climbing these types of routes, you would be the perfect person to install metal ladders and rungs on many of the climbs there. I hope you will move here and do so. The local climbers would be really grateful.

Washington has some great climbs, for sure, but we have some of the best winter via ferrata routes in the lower 48. The N. Ridge of Stuart, for example, is an excellent via ferrata this time of year, with great views and low commitment. It is often done in a short day, thanks to fixed neutrinos.

Other good via ferrata for this time of year are the N. Rib of Mt. Triumph, Nooksack Tower, and der Murderhorne. Have fun, and don't forget your windshirt!!

DirtyHarry: those areas you listed... they don't currently have Via Ferrata style climbs or no climbing at all? I can't believe what I am reading... Are you saying you guys don't have any Via Ferrata routes? I heard from a few people that Washington State was one of the more active climbing areas in the United States... how can this be true if you don't have any VF routes? Perhaps I am just misunderstanding your reply.

Roboboy: Perhaps I wasn't specific enough in my post; I am from Fort Collins but am not moving back to CO anytime soon. Thanks for the suggestion though; I actually already own that guidebook. Man I miss the fort!

Where are the pickets? Are they in a guidebook? Thanks everyone for the info so far!

You forgot a lot safer too! I see all sorts of accidents in the ER. Though we don't have a lot of climbers in the midwest/Tennessee area and I personally haven't seen a climbing related accident yet I know it happens and I think we can prevent injury related accidents we should.

I think I heard a stat that more rock climbers than motorcycle riders are killed/injured every year.

I need to be honest with you all: I don't know what to think of this website.

magellan: Eligibility for the three categories of Latin Honors (summa cum laude, magna cum laude and cum laude) at Duke are based on the cumulative grade point average for all work at Duke. Recipients are determined by the following procedure (and I quote): The grade point average included within the highest five percent of the previous year's graduating class is used to specify the grade point average needed by those students of the current graduating class to be awarded the summa cum laude honor. The grade point average included within the next highest ten percent of the previous year's graduating class is used to determine the grade point average needed by those students who will graduate with the magna cum laude honor. Finally, the grade point average included within the next ten percent of the previous year's graduating class will be used to determine those students eligible for graduating with the cum laude honor. Thus, about twenty-five percent of each graduating class will receive Latin Honors.

I graduated Magna Cum Laude at Duke.

Anybody willing to recommend a guidebook regardless of their Via Ferrata stance?

Trav

If i was you, I'd be more worried about shagging each and every one of those betties on your show before you give those bunch of gold diggers the boot...

Down the road,after the one you choose divorces you and takes you for every penny you've earned then you will be really angry at the world and climbing will be the perfect outlet.

Come back to this site in a few years ,after the divorce, and then we will give you the names of the guide books you seek.

in the mean time, make sure you come back and post how each one was in the sack.

especially interested in this one:

8bio_ali.jpg

Hey Bach, all joking aside I would start with the cascade alpine guide to get familiar with our great mountains. It's written by one of the stronger woman climbers in our local group, known to us all affectionately as Beckey (hint - she's a bit elderly but still available ! - I'll just let you take it from there !). And if it doesn't work out, don't fret, we've got plenty more just like her.

After you've covered that guide book there's another area that I would recommend if you're looking for more challenges. It's the Issaquah alps, very similar in terrain to the French alps that you love. Here's the guidebook:

I'm sure that us locals would even welcome someone putting in a few via ferrata type routes here, sometimes even just driving pavement can be a great outdoor sport.

By the way Bach son, you been keepin some strange east coast hours over there. Some latenight moonshine parties, huh, or just plain old insomnia ? Well, never mind son, we'll straighten you out with some hard climbs and good clean livin out here. Keep the faith.