Pandora Solos Nisqually Icecliff

catbirdseat

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha! It was Pandora! rockband.gifI knew it! The following comes to us, courtesy of Mike Gauthier, head climbing ranger MRNP (http://mountrainierclimbing.blogspot.com/)

Nisqually Icecliff, on Saturday a solo climber successfully climbed the route. This marked the first summit for Mount Rainier in 2006, and a rather significant achievement for the climber, Hannah Carrigan.

Carrigan headed out towards the Nisqually Basin around dawn, considering both the Icecliff or the Cleaver route. The Cleaver was tempting, but looked thin and icy (particularly near the high traverse up on the Cleaver itself.) The Icecliff also looked hard and thin in places, but doable considering the winter snowload. In the end, she opted for the Icecliff.

Carrigan reported firm snow and ice for much of the route. There were a number of difficult problems to negotiate. One section of the icecliff required commitment to both ice tools while traversing and climbing. Getting across the Bergshrund at the base of the cliff also required technical climbing. One notable comment was that slots, crevasses, and steep sections viewed from below, grew substantially in size once on scene.

After passing the technical secions in the Icecliff, Carrigan then ascended the upper Nisqually Glaciers to the crater rim and Columbia Crest. She reported a number of open crevasses on the upper Nisqually and Ingraham glaciers. Despite the deep snowpack below 10K, there still seems to be some gapping crevasses up high.

Carrigan descended the Gibraltar Ledges back to Camp Muir. An excellent solo journey on a big mountain in the winter, Good Job Hannah!

Somewhere in an alternate reality the title of this thread says "Pandora drags some fatass dude up the Nisqually Icecliff."

EDIT: ok, so we're going to try to misunderstand my post now, eh? Reading instructions: the above post reads: "Pandora is a flippin slogzilla badass, and it's a good thing that she soloed, so that some poor fool didn't have to get horsedrawn up the frickin Nisqually ice-cliff."

There, that should clear up any confusion. rolleyes.gif

no fair!!! cry.gif hannah wieghs about as much as a pack of cigarattes - if i went dancing across all them goddam cracks my gargantaun ass would plummet all the way down to china for anyone even heard i was gone...

nice job girl - now what's your daddy think about all that? kinda makes me rethink my plans on turning my own daughter into an uber-mountain-machine.