Climber's Gardening Forum - part 2 - Devil's Club

roboboy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on! thumbs_up.gif

I figure the stuff used to be all over Phinney - it just got ripped out. Just restoring to its natural home, thats all.grin.gif Mine were lifted from the Middle Fork last March, did really well last year. 'Course they're not much to look at now but I'm looking forward to a great year.

Hey, the rotten neighbor kids might get in the yard, but they wont get out! evils3d.gifevils3d.gifevils3d.gif

I've had good luck with vine maple, sword fern, and bleeding heart; I've managed to kill Deer Fern and trilium, though I think lack of watering in the follow up may have been the issue.
Don't make the mistake of planting bleeding heart. Once it get's loose in your yard, you'll never get rid of it. It is a terrible weed!

• 1 month later...

I think they like wet soil. Also there's microryzome (complimenting organisms in the soil) that some plants like these need to flourish. If your plant's not native to the soil you're planting it in, it's not gonna do so well. PM AMS about this.

I'm happy to report successful transplant of my devil's club plants (Echinopanax horridum, or Oplopanax horridus, or Alaskan ginseng), 9 weeks after planting them.

Practical uses for Echinopanax horridum:

The leaf shoots are edible in early spring, but only for the first few days of appearance, when soft. They can be eaten raw or added to other foods like a spice.

The roots are also edible in Spring. The roots can be used to make a tonic tea, like Oriental ginseng, which belongs to the same botanical family as devil’s club.

There are a multitude of medical uses for devil’s club, particularly used by Alaskan and Northwest native groups, but effectiveness is mostly not scientifically documented.

Of course it is a great landscape shrub to have around (ha ha - just so you know I might be joking).

This one is named "EW"

2/11

4/15

This one is named "ML"

2/11

4/15

I have a bunch of bracken fern in my yard, but I've been told it does not transplant well because the actual plant itself is fairly deep (or something like that).

Maidenhair would be cool, but you'd need a water fountain and rock garden.

I've got brackens all over my yard. Some idiot in years past put in English ivy on part of the lower slope. As I clear a patch of ground of that scourge, I transplant the brackens to fill the space. They take hold and prosper with little maintenance other than some intial watering sessions.

Huckleberry, on the other hand is a bitch to transplant, from my experience. It acts all sickly for a year or two until it either dies or decides to produce berries and prosper.

Don't make the mistake of planting bleeding heart. Once it get's loose in your yard, you'll never get rid of it. It is a terrible weed!

Hmmm... The species in my yard (Dicentra formosa), in three separate places with varying conditions, sprouts, leafs out, blooms, then dies back, completely disappearing until the next spring. The spreading has been quite slow over about 7 years. The most prolific weed in my yard (other than the english ivy I have been warring with for almost a decade) is big leaf maple. I pull hundreds of seedlings from all over my yard every spring. It is a losing battle due to the dozen or so mature specimens inhabiting the lower 2/3rds of my yard.