Climber's Gardening Forum - part 2 - Devil's Club

roboboy

I've always thought it was nice to plant northwest native plants. There was still one high on my list I've never, ever seen at a nursery - Devil's Club.

The undisclosed scene of the crime:

With effort I obtained enough plants for two plantings, hoping to ensure transplanting success:

So, you too can be the first one on your block to plant this stuff, maybe the first one in your city, maybe even the second person on earth. Plantings dedicated to Mike Layton and Erik Wolfe (obviously), may they (the plants, that is) live long and prosper and of course, I probably did a bad, bad thing, blah, blah, blah.

Edited by roboboy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on Roboboy! I've always wanted to put some devil's club in the yard. The leaves are very exotic, and the berries are not so bad either. Also, it has an interesting pedigree: a cousin of ginseng, my herb medical friend says it was the top most powerful healing herb for all kinds of ailments in native NW medicine.

For some reason, my wife has a bad impression of it and would prefer I go to the nursery and bring home some more rhododendrons or dahlia bulbs or something.

You're going to have to keep it pretty wet, I bet.

going to have to keep it pretty wet

I used two locations I had available, one a bit more shady than the other. The soil is generally damp from underground springs but with stuff like this all you can do is try it and see if it grows. Now is a good time to transplant. Vine maple does well close by with no watering at all during the summer. The shadiest spot probably has the best chance.