Mt. Eerie Kids Climb

mattp

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt, Your email didn't give me enough information to hook up... When I was up yesterday dozens of people did the climbing thing. anyways.. if you received my private email or anyone else... I'm close and can hook up with you to climb or just belay your ass... It's enough fun for me to watch climbers much better than myself.

Veld, the area is not entirely straight-forward and you have a legitimate worry but I think it is pretty manageable.

I have taken kids to the closest wall to the parking lot - "summit wall" or something like that, several times. The trail down to the bottom of the cliff is slightly confusing and does involve one passage down a blocky corner that is awkward and then a traverse where I have either set a hand line or spotted the kids, but I have managed to get even a couple nervous moms down there OK. I don't think the bottom of the crag is much of a problem, though if you had kids running around throwing a ball you'd certainly be worried about them. It'd be nice to have an extra adult to supervise. The top-outs, too, are a little indistinct and travel above the anchors could be worrying while, with the cliff being somewhat blocky, lowering is a little awkward.

I have not seen a more manageable cliffs on that hillside (though I have not been to all of them) and some provide even more cause for worry.

There are more easily managed crags at other areas, but I like Mt. Erie because of its high scenic value. Those nervous moms or the kids, too, will enjoy watching a ship out in the distance of hearing the cry of an eagle.

Yeah, I was thinking of the summit wall, with its easy climbs and fabulous views. Given a little caution it sounds pretty reasonable, especially since the major concerns are behind once you reach the belay ledge. Now all I have to do is get the kids as fired up to go as I am to take them! Thanks for the info, guys.