• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Booyakasha!

rockband.gif

Hey Sky,

RESPECT my man.

Congratulations on finally weaving through her web for the twilight descent!

Is your snow cave still intact? On Kool-Aid Lake? Might have to utilize it.

Good thinking with the middle-fork approach, albeit a bit of a ‘shwack, those slopes between Cascade Pass and Cache Col were a great white fright last year!

And to think… we nearly pulled it off in 23 hours!....well, okay, we weren’t even close.

UP!

Jonathan

What's happening Jonathan?

I kept thinking about our trip. We were close. We probably coulda had it the same way, but it felt a lot better doing the dusk descent with a fat cache of overnight gear on the other side of Art's Knoll. We made a damn good run at it.

As for the Middle Fork, it did the trick and it was cool to make a loop and see some new views, but it's definitely more work.

Josh- good one. moon.gifJe m'en fiche.

I like standing on top of shit, what can I say.

So in the middle fork did the snow cover all the burned deadfall or did you have to deal with any of it? That looks like the most reasonable approach to formidable in the winter/spring on the map, but do you still think going up and over cascade pass and cache col is easier?

You like standing on top of shit? Don't make me remind you of a couple trips we did together, ha ha ha. I'll pull your card. tongue.gif

There was snow, but we had to deal with lots of burned deadfall. I cleaned my hands with snow many times throughout the night during the approach; luckily I managed not to get any soot on my stylin' threadz. I think the Cache Col approach is probably easier. But without skis and in the summer sans snow in the valley, the Middle Fork could very well be easier, especially for Formidable.

Nice report Sky. I was psyched to be getting the goods on Spider with you and Dave. Maybe i do need to get rid of work and become a lazy bastard ski mountaineer errant ... for the groupies sake.

Anyhow Jonathan, the snowcave is below Kool-aid lake in a clump of trees but was almost covered by blowing snow as we were leaving camp. It's a nice one if you find it.

Scurlock took a really cool photo of what the wind left of our tracks, thanks John!

Nice picture, John.

Glad your trip went well, Sky.

It's good your slope didn't rip out like the one to looker's left!

===

Edited to add:

Congratulations on your decision to stay below, Dave. That can't have been an easy one. You demonstrated real integrity by holding back when your friends continued. By integrity I mean Paul Ramer's definition - not breaking personal promises with yourself.

Edited by Lowell_Skoog

Scurlock, thanks for the great pic, i'm a big fan of your shots.

Lowell, I'm glad it didn't rip out either. We thought about digging a pit halfway up but ran out of sunlight.

Actually, the wind effected snowpack varied considerably aross aspects and we payed close attention as we traveled. The slope was quite stable as we crossed the shrund, climbed it and skied it.

And as for Dave hanging back ... i think its a smart and easy decision if you don't feel like sking it, for whatever reason.