Triple Couloirs

Climzalot

NOT TO take away from anyone, but dont you all think it is still early to be climbing an ice route when it is all snow?????? or mostly snow???

semi steep snow is much easier to climb then ice.....

sounds like colin and wayne found the goods out on the n face.......

just a thought feel free to hate on me when ready.....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never did climb the NF route. Triple C was in fine shape a lot easier than I was expecting. Good for that.

It seems as if everything was Harder when they did it rolleyes.gif" border="0

Kind of like friends telling me other ice routes were fatter than when they did it earlier this season. Other opinions told me otherwise when they saw my friends going up on the harder times as well, a few weeks earlier when my friends did it.

I dont climb very hard. I had a good time. I recommend climbing that route or even the North Face. It's not technical now if you ask me.

It all comes back to trying to determine conditions from the couch or looking at a internet photo which is pretty common here.

All in all who cares. Next route please. Thank yo.

quote:

Originally posted by erik:
NOT TO take away from anyone, but dont you all think it is still early to be climbing an ice route when it is all snow?????? or mostly snow???

semi steep snow is much easier to climb then ice.....

sounds like colin and wayne found the goods out on the n face.......

just a thought feel free to hate on me when ready.....

Erik you are couch potatoeing the route conditions hehehe. Maybe if you got into the peak and climbed both or one route I would not give you so much shit but you didn't even walk in.

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: rayborbon ]

quote:

Originally posted by rayborbon:

Erik you are couch potatoeing the route conditions hehehe. Maybe if you got into the peak and climbed both or one route I would not give you so much shit but you didn't even walk in.

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: rayborbon ]

i know i was in smith working on my tan......

quote:

Originally posted by rayborbon:

Gotta work on that tan whitey hehhe

i gotta look good for all pic in utah.....we see how easy that triple dealy bob is soon enough.....

when it is in tacoma conditions....thin and icy.....

much like you spine....

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: erik ]

Ok I took snowmobile but I tell you all the other parties wanted a tow though. So Sean when I see you rise up then hehehe Shut up.

Erik it is pretty non technical. It's getting off your ass and actually climbing the mountain that makes the difference instead of talking about them and following all the pitches you can.

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

i gotta look good for all pic in utah.....we see how easy that triple dealy bob is soon enough.....

when it is in tacoma conditions....thin and icy.....

much like you spine....

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: erik ]

Erik,

so insulting but that is ok by me. I did and now you have not. Hehhehe

quote:

Originally posted by rbw1966:
When were you at Smith? I was on Koala Rock last Sunday (3/31).

Guess I saw you cuz I was doing Marsupials Traverse that day in the morning. was that your large party TRing stuff on the first pitch of Thin Air?? or were you in the party of 2 that did all the pitches?

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: Dru ]

My thoughts on this discussion.

I climbed the Triple Couloirs route with a partner on April 2, a few days after a few of the other parties mentioned here. I did not do the NF variation. We soloed the hidden, belayed and simulclimbed on the first couloir, simul-climbed the 2nd, belayed the rock step, and soloed the third couloir.

Most of the route was good, quality snow. The two cruxes were the ice runnels linking the Hidden with the 2nd couloir, and the rock slab transitioning from the 2nd to the 3rd couloir.

The whole route may have been better protected and easier to climb, in my opinion, with more ice. Instead, it was ice buried under lots of variable quality snow. The rock band up high had enough powdery snow to obscure gear placements or holds, and it was too soft to use for adequate purchase. The conditions were, in this regard, challenging.

The protection was scarce throughout, though I was able to place occasional cams and pitons and clip several fixed pitons on the first ice pitch.

I have not climbed many routes of this nature, but would disagree with Ray's observation that the route is not technical right now. I guess it depends on how you define "technical." The first couloir and the rock slab were rather technical in my opinion. There were long runouts on the first couloir and drytooling on rock covered in sugary snow on the slab.

I do believe that it makes as much sense to solo this route, in these conditions, as it does to belay it. In fact, it may be safer to solo it due to the scarcity of pro.

In any case, it was a very fine route and I enjoyed it a lot. Stellar views up top, from Baker to Adams! And Stuart, and the South Face of Prussik, and Rainier . . . great climb, great conditions, great views. tongue.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by goatboy:
My thoughts on this discussion.

I climbed the Triple Couloirs route with a partner on April 2, a few days after a few of the other parties mentioned here. I did not do the NF variation. We soloed the hidden, belayed and simulclimbed on the first couloir, simul-climbed the 2nd, belayed the rock step, and soloed the third couloir.

Most of the route was good, quality snow. The two cruxes were the ice runnels linking the Hidden with the 2nd couloir, and the rock slab transitioning from the 2nd to the 3rd couloir.

The whole route may have been better protected and easier to climb, in my opinion, with more ice. Instead, it was ice buried under lots of variable quality snow. The rock band up high had enough powdery snow to obscure gear placements or holds, and it was too soft to use for adequate purchase. The conditions were, in this regard, challenging.

The protection was scarce throughout, though I was able to place occasional cams and pitons and clip several fixed pitons on the first ice pitch.

I have not climbed many routes of this nature, but would disagree with Ray's observation that the route is not technical right now. I guess it depends on how you define "technical." The first couloir and the rock slab were rather technical in my opinion. There were long runouts on the first couloir and drytooling on rock covered in sugary snow on the slab.

I do believe that it makes as much sense to solo this route, in these conditions, as it does to belay it. In fact, it may be safer to solo it due to the scarcity of pro.

In any case, it was a very fine route and I enjoyed it a lot. Stellar views up top, from Baker to Adams! And Stuart, and the South Face of Prussik, and Rainier . . . great climb, great conditions, great views.
tongue.gif" border="0

Ya, see Borbon is a hardman and he is just being modest. Next he will report how he did Cassin Ridge, and it was easay 4th class and a good route for a Mountaineers Basic class to do. wink.gif" border="0

Nice picture, by the way, Ray.

Yeah, I was thoughtful about avy hazard as well, though it turns out that things were pretty stable all day.

We DID get a fair amount of spindrift all day long, even very early before the sun was up.

Did you guys encounter lots of spindrift?

It was pretty cool, climbing through all the spindrift, actually . . .

quote:

Originally posted by rbw1966:
When were you at Smith? I was on Koala Rock last Sunday (3/31).

yeah i was out there then, but i think we were on koala on sat and then else wheres on sunday...though over there and not over there....