two seats = two tickets

underworld

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...getting mad at a fat guy because he's fat and needs to take an airplane somewhere just doesn't seem to be very productive.

Right. the issue is should the fat guy pay a fare commensurate with the added space he requires, or receive special accomodation.

Most airlines already have written policies about person of size/fat people. The issue is why didn't the groundstaff figure that out and do something about it before he boarded the plane (since seat width does vary by airplane and airline this is dependant on the equipment of the day)

But getting mad at a fat guy because he's fat and needs to take an airplane somewhere just doesn't seem to be very productive.

You're right that getting mad would get you nowhere. But, if somebody is so overweight that they cannot fit into one seat, then they should definetely pay for more than one seat. You shouldn't be forced to share a seat with somebody just because they're fat.

if somebody is so overweight that they cannot fit into one seat, then they should definetely pay for more than one seat. You shouldn't be forced to share a seat with somebody just because they're fat.

Better not fly United or Delta Airlines then..... they don't have a 2 seat = 2 ticket policy.

I've racked my brain to think of a wonderful solution to this earth-threatening problem.

Here's an idea....

Figure that most people who are in all likelihood going to inhabit 1.1 seats, are not going to volunteer this information when buying their ticket online. And also figure that the airline is not going to employ chubby checkers and severely alienate 1/4 of their clientele. This pretty much negates any sort of fatties pay extra type of promotion in all but the most extreme cases.

Here is what they could do to keep us skinny whiners happy:

When a person of size is identified to be overflowing their purchased seat, the airline could announce incentives to passengers willing to suffer the indignity of experiencing such fatness up close. This would be similar to the flight bumping procedures. I'll bet there'd be more than a few takers on a full flight for a future first-class upgrade or some such incentive.

Hah! I clearly haven't figured out all the kinks of my strategy.

I think clever use of euphemisms would be key here. Perhaps key the rewards on people requiring a little less seat space, instead of for sitting next to the fat guy.

This would kill two birds with one stone, as you'd solve your "nobody wants to sit next to a squirrely kid" problem too.

Man have I got a great idea now. All they need is a few personal video game/movie players (many flights already have these available for a fee). They could just ask if any person (kid) needs less space than a full seat, they could use the gameplayer gratis during the flight.

Everyone's happy! Person of size doesn't have to worry about sitting next to a hater. Kid gets to play video games. Parent doesn't have to endure whiny fidgety kid. Airline endures little to no marginal excess cost.

This is pure genius, if I do say so myself. However, I know it will not please those of you who feel fat people should be punished.

The "Obese Airline Traveler" problem has "Market Opportunity" written all over-it.

My other random comment is that the distinction between fat people and the various people in the "not cool to make fun of" group is that it's commonly understood that the people in the latter group have absolutely no control over the traits that place them in the "not cool to make fun of category."

Despite the abundance of special-pleading exerted on their behalf, and all of the mass-yearning to be relieved of any responsibility for this condition - the fact of the matter is that the ratio between calories consumed and calories expended is what ultimately determines whether or not one is obese. End of story.

Thanks.

Despite the abundance of special-pleading exerted on their behalf, and all of the mass-yearning to be relieved of any responsibility for this condition - the fact of the matter is that the ratio between calories consumed and calories expended is what ultimately determines whether or not one is obese. End of story.

Thanks.

Some people don't burn calories as well as others, so they should correspondingly eat less. If they don't have the willpower/control to do this, is it because they're just lazy or they have a mental disorder?

Surely the answer is "it depends," but where do you draw the line? Similarities to ADD?

Man have I got a great idea now. All they need is a few personal video game/movie players (many flights already have these available for a fee). They could just ask if any person (kid) needs less space than a full seat, they could use the gameplayer gratis during the flight.

Everyone's happy! Person of size doesn't have to worry about sitting next to a hater. Kid gets to play video games. Parent doesn't have to endure whiny fidgety kid. Airline endures little to no marginal excess cost.

This is pure genius, if I do say so myself. However, I know it will not please those of you who feel fat people should be punished.

parents will have to worry... kid might get eaten cheeburga_ron.gif