two seats = two tickets

underworld

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you think of the airline's policy requiring large passengers to buy two seats?

Choice Votes Percentage of 18279 Votes

I think it's a great policy. 12053 66%

I disapprove. I think it's a form of discrimination. 4543 25%

I'm not sure. 1683 9%

Thanks for taking part in our survey!

Related note:

I recently got the pleasure of sitting next to an overweight guy on a cross-country flight. He was spilling onto my seat. The armrest was definitely bending and seemed ready to snap.

I just sat there feeling sorry for myself, and mad that that guy was making an already uncomfortable flight more uncomfortable for me. I just sat there the whole time, surly and not talking to this guy, and he didn't talk to me.

Then after the flight, or maybe after I first actually looked at his face. I realized he was just another person who also was not enjoying the situation. I felt really bad.

We all have the right, I guess, to protect ourselves from having to experience fat people. But when it comes right down to it, in situations like this, it's really the fat person who's suffering the most, plus all the other problems they've probably got related to it. Even if you're the most cold-hearted dickhead, even if you posit that "it's his own fault he's fat", it seems pretty self-absorbed to get bent out of shape about it.

"There but for the grace of God go I" and all that good stuff.

bigdrink.gif

Related note:

I recently got the pleasure of sitting next to an overweight guy on a cross-country flight. He was spilling onto my seat. The armrest was definitely bending and seemed ready to snap.

I just sat there feeling sorry for myself, and mad that that guy was making an already uncomfortable flight more uncomfortable for me. I just sat there the whole time, surly and not talking to this guy, and he didn't talk to me.

Then after the flight, or maybe after I first actually looked at his face. I realized he was just another person who also was not enjoying the situation. I felt really bad.

We all have the right, I guess, to protect ourselves from having to experience fat people. But when it comes right down to it, in situations like this, it's really the fat person who's suffering the most, plus all the other problems they've probably got related to it. Even if you're the most cold-hearted dickhead, even if you posit that "it's his own fault he's fat", it seems pretty selfish to get bent out of shape about it. "There but for the grace of God go I" and all that good stuff.

bigdrink.gif

You should have poked his flab (ewwwwww) like the pillsbury doughboy goin "Hey fatty, it shakes like Jello but can you back that thing up outa my space?"

That's an easy one. I can not only empathize there, I can sympathize with that guy! bigdrink.gif

It is messy having to coexist with inferior beings, isn't it?

I'm sure we could keep playing this game of inching up the indignities we are being forced to undergo as well as the culpability of the perpetrators. For example, I think my compassion would stop well before the point of someone who ran a redlight and killed my daughter because he needed to get to the liquor store before it closed.

But getting mad at a fat guy because he's fat and needs to take an airplane somewhere just doesn't seem to be very productive.