:eavenworth rock still wet or snowy?

goatboy

Wondering if any of the south-facing rock in Leavenworth is worth climbing these days?

Specifically, I'm curious about the south side of Castle Rock, and/or any of the roadside stuff on icicle creek below the road closure.

It's a 4 hour drive for me, that's why I ask rather than going to look for myself.

Thanks in advance for any reports.

Steve

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: goatboy ]

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Lambone:
A freind of mine went bouldering in the icicle this weekend. He said it was patchy snow and the top outs were wet. Said he had chilly fingers, bring some belay mits! I bet the face climbing on southfacing stuff would be dry with all this sun.

i think goatboy wanted to know about rock climbing......

Well, as Viktor said, Leavenworth was glorious this past weekend -- Saturday was warm and blue, wind-free, and we climbed sun-warmed rock (after a snowy approach) on Castle Rock all day until the sun went down.

Then on Sunday, it was shirt-free climbing in the sun on Duty Dome all day.

So good! Thanks for the encouragement to make the long drive, Viktor.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

It's been snowing here in Leav every day since at least monday. Everything is buried and probably won't get back to climbable conditions for at least a week or two. I don't know about Vantage but can usually get good local conditions by calling the Quincy golf course 5097873244 or the George mini mart 7854511.

quote:

Originally posted by lizard brain:
Speaking of Vantage, I heard from unnamed sources that Frenchman's will be overrun by a Mountaineer's class this coming weekend. Head's up.

Seattle Mountaineers will be out on Icicle Creek this weekend and next teaching leading on rock, so you might want to test their pro as you clip through them on the routes. wink.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by lizard brain:
Speaking of Vantage, I heard from unnamed sources that Frenchman's will be overrun by a Mountaineer's class this coming weekend. Head's up.

This class will be their aid climbing one, so I don't think it will be as big as what was at Spire. (Not sure how big, though.)