They're watching

olyclimber

From I, Cringley:

Now for a final word on wiretapping, the NSA, and you, which were the primary topics of my last two columns. This last thought comes from an old friend of mine who is conservative in the very best sense and knows what he is writing about:

"Traffic analysis, at the NSA? I'm tempted to be sarcastic, but I won't be. As you might know, I started a company a few years ago with a former NSA guy -- somebody who was a cryptographer and Russian linguist on those submarines that snuck into Soviet harbors to tap their phone lines -- and we applied traffic analysis to Internet discussion groups to identify opinion leaders, conversation trends and so forth. We used a lot of techniques that were developed or applied to law enforcement. And we didn't use anything that violated anybody's security clearances... really!

"(My company) was acquired by a business intelligence company funded by the CIA venture capital outfit. Apparently the stuff I invented is now in the hands of a couple of intelligence agencies, including Homeland Security.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you suppose if someone posted something like "blow up the White House," that the NSA's little data-getter dealy would start monitoring our fine web forum? Not that DFA is saying "blow up the White House." That would be inexcusable, immoral, and illegal, as well as patently un-American. But, you know, hypothetically speaking.
Mr. DFA, you realize that by printing such a phrase that you are creating "clutter" or irrelevant data. This could result in real threats not being identified. You, sir, are an anarchist!

osama bomb terror whitehouse bush nuclear iran alqaeda smallpox anthrax iraq binladen mujahadeen mohammed cartoon uranium russia explode embassy bomb missile terrorist damage danger earthfirst casualty explosive detonator torture al-zarqawi hostage h0witt CIA black helicopter pushtun afghanistan opium

Edited by olyclimber

osama bomb terror whitehouse bush nuclear iran alqaeda smallpox porter hammer anthrax iraq binladen mujahadeen mohammed cartoon uranium russia explode embassy bomb missile terrorist damage danger earthfirst iain morris casualty explosive detonator torture al-zarqawi hostage h0witt CIA black helicopter pushtun afghanistan opium

Oh, but surely now you've gone too far and doom looms for us all.

osama bomb terror whitehouse bush nuclear iran alqaeda smallpox porter hammer anthrax iraq binladen mujahadeen mohammed cartoon uranium russia explode embassy bomb missile terrorist damage danger earthfirst iain morris casualty explosive detonator torture al-zarqawi hostage h0witt CIA black helicopter pushtun afghanistan opium

Yikes!! hellno3d.gif