Hogsback Feb 10th

skibum1087

Quick question for anybody who has been on the South route on Hood in the winter. I was thinking of doing it next saturday. I'm hoping all of the freeze thaw this upcoming week should leave the snow stable, and i am assuming the crevasse is totally closed. Does this sound reasonble? I've only been on the route in the spring, any other input or things to watch out for on a winter ascent. Thanks a lot.

Spencer

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI for those going up soon. Climbed on Thursday. Weather was great, except it was very windy at Timberline. This turned some groups away. Hiking into a 20+ MPH headwind up to the top of Palmer wasnt really bad. After that the wind died down a lot. Snow was very consolidated so crampons went on soon after Palmer (wouldnt have been bad to have them on up to there). At the hogsback the first guys up were coming down. Said the chute was pretty icy. Some people were bailing as we went up, but we went up (nice and slow - ice tool would be handy, but crampons and an axe did the trick). Summit was perfectly calm. Wont say it will still be that way. I think the winds are dying down on Sunday (I will be at Meadows wink.gif).

People have said the chute was the worst they ever saw it, including climbers with 15+ and 80+ ascents!