READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY? (Recommedations?)

billcoe

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Just finished "King Leopolds Ghost" while in Vegas, exellent choice Carl and JayB. Exellent book. Got hooked and couldn' put it down. For historical works, reading like a novel is rare. Barbra Tuchman pulled it off with the "Guns of August", but that might be it.

thanks for the recomendation.

More?

BTW, to whoever recommended "Q", .............IT SUCKED! Couldn't finish it....drivel.

been reading Dark Nights of the Soul by Thomas Moore and The Wisdom of Yoga by Stephen Cope

so far both are good. also just read The Five DIsfuntions of a Team and Silos Polotics and Turf Wars, both by Patrick Lencioni.Very good as well although very corperate cultureish.

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

Good Fucking read, inspires me to find a time machine. Quality and accurate read and it gives me a nice frame of reference for things I have heard about but never understood! DW was the original badass. My appreciation of early British cragging cranked up several notches after reading this. To understand where it came from gives me a balanced view of todays exploits..."ie" discredits the shit that was assume is uber or "cutting edge"

0898869862.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1114699482_.jpg

BTW, thank in advance for grats on my 1k+ posts smile.gif

Just finished "King Leopolds Ghost" while in Vegas, exellent choice Carl and JayB. Exellent book. Got hooked and couldn' put it down. For historical works, reading like a novel is rare. Barbra Tuchman pulled it off with the "Guns of August", but that might be it.

thanks for the recomendation.

More?

BTW, to whoever recommended "Q", .............IT SUCKED! Couldn't finish it....drivel.

If you liked that book "The Road to Hell" by Michael Maren might be another that you'd like, but I'd give yourself a breather and read something cheerful and uplifting before you start up.

"I am Writing to Inform You that Tomorrow We Shall Be Killed Along with Our Families" was another one, but the same pre-read happiness infusion is a good idea here as well.

I'm reading "War Before Civilization" by Lawrence Keeley at the moment, which is kind of uplifting in that despite perceptions to the contrary, for the average person, the world is probably a considerably less violent and terrifying place than it used to be.

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, A History of Nazi Germany, by William Shirer:

"This third lesson [on the value of spiritual and physical terror for propagandizing the masses], though it was surely based on faulty observation and compounded by his own immense prejudices, intrigued the young Hitler. Within ten years he would put it to good use for his own ends.

I understood the infamous spiritual terror which this movement exerts, particularly on the bourgeoisie, which is neither morally nor mentally equal to such attacks; at a given sign it unleashes a veritable barrage of lies and slanders against whatever adversary seems most dangerous, until the nerves of the attacked person break down...I achieved an equal understanding of the importance of physical terror toward the individual and the masses...For in the ranks of their supporters the victory achieved seems a triumph of the justice to their own cause, the defeated adversary in most cases despairs of the success of any further resistance.

No more precise analysis of Nazi tactics, as Hitler was eventually to develop them, was ever written."

That was an amazing read as well.

I just Finished "Towing Jehovah" a fictional story of the Exxon Valdez skipper who is called upon by angels to tow the fallen, dead, 2-mile-long body of God to an ice cavern (his final resting place on Earth).

Absolutely hilarious, what with the theological, practical and decomposing elements. Fully irrevererant. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif