Cannon Mtn. Couloir

AlpineK

R and I skied Cannon Mtn. coulior on saturday. We had good but windy weather. I cut a small slab at the top of the couloir (3"-4" crown) but nothing else. There was some nice powder on the upper half of the descent and some vairiable funkyness on the lower slopes.

Overall a good day. Big drops rule!! grin.gif" border="0[big Drink]

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, but how much snow was there down at the trailhead? That would serve as some kind of indicator for other trips in the area. Cannon Mountain Couloir is, I agree, an excellent run, and I agree that BIG DROPS RULE. I am wondering about trying some other things in the area, such as Peak 7550 above Lake Stuart or Cashmere Mountain. By the way, here is a picture of the drop in at the top of the Couloir.

-Matt

canontop.jpeg

Actually, that photo IS the top of the CMC--unless I had the wrong couloir. The couloir in the photo is the couloir that drops from the N. Peak of Cannon Mountain, about 1 1/4 miles NNE of the main summit and, as Mr. K said, it is the couloir that you "can't miss" when you look up from the bridge at Bridge Creek C.G. When I took the picture, I was standing on the cornice directly above the throat of the top of the couloir, and my buddy KJ was looking at where we were about to drop in, about 30 yards west, where the cornice was (on that day) a little smaller.

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:
.....When I took the picture, I was standing on the cornice directly above the throat of the top of the couloir, and my buddy KJ was looking at where we were about to drop in, about 30 yards west, where the cornice was ....

I gotcha. I remember the top as being a narrow chute for 25' or so before opening out - much tighter than the broader slope in your picture. You were probably standing right at the spot I had in mind when you took the picture.

My apologizes – like I said, my opinions are worth what you pay for ‘em.