Muslim anger at Danish cartoons

fear_and_greed

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They just fired the editor of the French newspaper who published the cartoons in a show of solidarity with the Danish, and in support of free expression. Yipes.

T-20 years to Burqua-time in Chiraqistan.

Maybe not...

Spain

ABC

El Periodico

"It's logical that the cartoons irritate some Muslims. But it is not logical when, in the name of a literal and inhumane reading of the Koran, one tries to eliminate even overseas criticisms or menace those who ... exercise satire."

"Europe cannot concede the defence of freedom just because of an offensive by radical Islam"

"We don't normally shy away from things like this. Publish and be damned, as they say."

Carlos-Enrique Bayo, foreign editor

Italy

La Stampa

Il Correire della Sera

"What is the West waiting for? Will they keep their heads in the sand until another Theo van Gogh is assassinated in Copenhagen or in Oslo?" (This from a Muslim writer)

Switzerland

Blick

La Tribune de Genève

"This affair is an illustration of a clash between a very secular culture like ours and another culture where religion is central."

Netherlands

De Volkskrant

De Telegraaf

NRC Handelsblad

Germany

Berliner Zeitung

Der Tagesspiegel

"When a society allows itself to be guided only by the 'feelings' of a group of people, then it is no longer free."

Die Tageszeitung

"In a democratic and secular society, showing decency and respect for other cultures does not mean adopting their religious dogmas."

Die Welt

"One could take the Muslims protests more seriously if they were less hypocritical. When Syrian television broadcast a prime time documentary drama showing rabbis as cannibals, the imams were silent."

And from Le Monde:

""Islam forbids its followers all representations of the Prophet ... the question that is posed is the following: are all those who aren't Muslims bound to conform to that? Can you imagine a society that adopted the strictures of various religions? What would happen to the freedom to think, to speak, or even to come and go? Societies like this, we know them too well. They are, for example, Iran of the Mullahs. And yesterday it was France of the Inquisition ...

[...]

"Religious freedom is the liberty to believe or not, to practice one's religion undisturbed. But it will never become the right to impose on all of society the rules relevant to a single belief."

Gotta applaud the doggedness of the parlor-relativists here. Hopefully you'll get behind them the next time a rape-victim is stoned to death for committing adultery, and equate that with the fact that we still don't have very many female senators. Good stuff. thumbs_up.gif

Good timing for Bush & Co. to deflect some hatred elsewhere. Here's a link but if don't read german you're out of luck. http://www.welt.de/ One had a suicide bomber trying to get into heaven and Muhammad saying they have no more virgins left so go back home, or something to that effect. Now I think that funny.
I can safely say that I don't have any "sacred cows" that you could insult that would incite that sort of anger in me. I guess that's the definition of a humanist, one who doesn't cling to dogma.

Do you have any sacred cows? What's the one thing I could insult that would guarantee you'd come out swinging, other than "yo momma"?

With the muslim outrage rising to new levels the Danes must be sweating a bit now. Although I think that the motherland is safe from attack since 90% of college graduates can't locate the country on a map much less a bunch of rock throwing, koran spewing, suicide bomber wannabees.

Hey, Denmark has over 450 islands. They're just real small and cute.

With the muslim outrage rising to new levels the Danes must be sweating a bit now. Although I think that the motherland is safe from attack since 90% of college graduates can't locate the country on a map much less a bunch of rock throwing, koran spewing, suicide bomber wannabees.

I just got in touch with a Dane who lived with us for a year as an exchange student back in '90. The Danes are easy going and civilized, but can be quite resolute in defense of the values that they believe make such civilization possible. I wouldn't expect them to lash out, but they're not going to buckle either.

The Islamists tipped their hands a bit early on this one.

[quote

I just got in touch with a Dane who lived with us for a year as an exchange student back in '90. The Danes are easy going and civilized, but can be quite resolute in defense of the values that they believe make such civilization possible. I wouldn't expect them to lash out, but they're not going to buckle either.

Remember the EU battles? Danes were the last to (reluctantly) agree.

Don't piss off a bunch of Vikings.