Overall Mounataineering Rope

BrittEasterly

I'm looking for an all purpose dry rope. I need it to be light (I was thinking the 8-9mm range) yet to be able to withstand Glacier travel/rapel/top rope/and lead climbing short pitches. I looked into a twin or a double but dont want to rely on someone else bringing a match. Hit me up and let me know; also where I can pick it up, cheers! bigdrink.gif

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My simple advice is to suck up the extra weight andd get a 10mm dry rope. It does weigh a bit more than a 9mm, but it will wear much longer. What you describe will likely put heavy wear on your rope, especially when toproping where everyone will toss it in the dirt, and glacier travel where it WILL get stepped on.

If you want twin ropes, then get a set. It's damn expensive when compared to a bargain rope, but you get what you pay for. Also make sure you know how to use a twin setup before heading out.

On a side note, I have not been happy with Beal ropes. The sheath wears too quickly. My cheap Edelweiss has aged much better. I've also been very happy with Sterling.

I agree with fenderfour. What you describe using it for, many people have separate ropes for those specific activity. Ironically the toughest one on a rope is probably the rubbing of top-roping. Also 10mm is a common width so I think they will be cheaper.

As for brand preference, everybody is going to say their own one.

You will often want a long rope for top-roping as opposed to a short one for glacier travel. You say you will be making short leads, but what about rappels?

If you plan to do a lot of top-roping then get a long fat rope.

I have had good luck with Beal, Eidelweiss, and Mamut ropes.

For glacier climbs, a 30M 8mm rope is cheap and much easier to carry.

If you really want one rope to do everything then get a really light single rope (probably a bit over 9 mm). A 50M rope will weigh less and will work for most climbs. This rope will be light, but strong enough for anything you run into. You can always throw it away when you wear it out.

You will end up buying more than one rope, so you might as well start with a rope that is good for it's intended purpose.

Edited by Nick