[TR] Manning Park- Go With the Flow 75m WI4-5 1/30/2006

Dru

Climb: Manning Park-Go With the Flow 75m WI4-5

Date of Climb: 1/30/2006

Trip Report:

Don S, Earthly (Scott), Stemalot (Steve) and I climbed Go With The Flow in Manning on Sunday.

Nepopekum is also in albeit with a hole in the middle about 1/3 of the way up.

GWTF is heavily snow covered with cruddy snice on the less than vertical parts, and good blue ice on the verticalparts. Don and Scott climbed a WI5ish pillar on the left while Steve and I climbed a WI4 on the right. Both parties climbed in 2 30m pitches and avoided the last 15-20m of lower angle to the top as it would have been an uphill wallow in deep snow over crud ice.

The approach and descent were both entertaining with lots of headlamp trudging, a blizzard, falling-in-the-creek creek crossings, and a very slow drive out on an unplowed road with 8" of freshiez.

Don and I both forgot our helmets blush.gif The constant barrage of crud snice, ice chunks and spindrift was a bit scary.

Enough spindrift was dumped down the climb that our packs at the base were fully buried.

I lost a brand new 19cm BD Turbo at the base when it unclipped from my plastic racking biner. Reward for safe return but I honestly doubt it will ever be seen again with the amount of snow that fell on top of it.

Snowshoes a bit better than skis for getting to the base but it was a real slog no matter what was used.

Gear Notes:

Screws and so on.

Approach Notes:

Deep pow. Bit of crust in the forest balanced out by the number of deadfalls to climb over.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's easy to say "I will always wear a helmet when I ice climb" sitting in front of a computer, but it is harder to practice that when you have slogged 3.5 hours to the base of a climb and realize you forgot your helmet. Do you just tell your partners "I don't want to climb now" or do you accept the increased risk so you can salvage something from the day?

the side Dru and I did was lots of fun! 2/3 way up, there's a cool little cave behind a curtain of ice. I climbed out of the cave by steming on the curtain (I wanted to find out how strong it was and it was solid!.)

Don and Earthly did the impressive ice pillar...I think overall they got more of the good ice then we did.

the swimming in powder was really fun too!

357wading-med.JPG

Earthly makes the approach

357nepope2.JPG

Nepopekum from the trail on the way to GWTF

357uproute.JPG

Foreshortened view of route and Earthly's head

357clearing-med.JPG

Don does some zamboni work looking for ice underneath the junk.

Bigger versions of thumbnails are in the gallery.

Last year crappy, disposable camera

5974Yes_it_is-med.jpg

Bigger size

not so, dru.

we belayed at the base of the ice hose on the right - the ice in the photo with the climber on it was an insubstantial-looking curtain this year.

both Scott and I, and you and Steve, climbed the narrowish righthand ice flow; I moved left to belay so that Scott could lead the centre of the fall, which consisted of two sequential columns, each about 10m high - these show in Jesse's photo as tiers of icicles, left of a couple small exposures of rock. Steve continued directly on up, climbing the right side of the upper tier, right of the exposed noses of rock.

As for the issue of length, the guide says 30m, which I got from the FA party. Perhaps they soloed the lower section (our first pitch) and "counted" only the "main" pitch? The correct information should certainly be around 60m, perhaps even more if you climbed all the way to the very top of the ice - we omitted the upper, heavily snow-shrouded, low angle stuff.

As for the difficulty, while the ice was typically Coastal and "tricky", there is no way this was grade 5. The steep sections are only 8m-10m long, and nothing is dead-vertical. (Admittedly, we TR'ed thru a half-metre roof for "sport" after completeling the "real" climb, but that was not mandatory...) The guide says 4+; that's accurate.

[P.S. Best approach by far is in the trees right of the avvy chute under the route. Drew and I flailed up on our snowshoes; Scott and Steve abandoned their skis just above the creek and postholed - not too bad; the old snow had a bit of a crust under the trees. 1 1/2 hrs from creek to route - a strenuous way to gain 200m!]

cheers, don

Maybe this will make things clearer?

357gwtftopo.JPG

red dashed line = current snow level

green arrow = our approach

blue X = our belay and packs

purple - route you and Scott climbed. I didn't climb it so if you say WI4+ I guess it was.

orange - route Steve and I climbed.

Belays marked

In neither case was it a full 30m to rap sO i guess total length was more like 50-55m than 60m but there was easily another 20-30m of lower angle wallow to the top of the route from there.

Interesting that Brent told me it was WI5 and a full pitch the day after he climbed it and then told you it was WI4+ and 30m when you were writing the guidebook. Then again he told me that Skaha was on the direct route from Jasper to Bella Coola once too.