• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
selkirk

Thermofitting boots for free??

Are there any shops in the area that do thermofitting for free? I picked up a set of boots/liners on here and they still have several fits on them and i was hoping to get them baked. I checked with Second Ascent but it was going to be $40 to do it.

Thanks a bunch!

1. Throw them in the oven for 10 minutes at about 275 until soft.

2. Stuff liners in boots.

3. Stuff feet in liners.

4. Wait 15 minutes till done.

No free, but Sturevants in Bellevue will do it for not that much. I paid $20 and there was a guy who paid $10 while I was there. They charge by the hour. If you want to do it yourself try Telemarktips. This is a good discussion on how it might be done.

Backpackers does it for free, but then you have to drive down to Tacoma, which probably costs more than that $20 you'd spend at Sturtevants.

Selkirk I'd suggest finding someone who is really good at it, that knows how to shim and stuff. I've had mine done at a pretty reputable ski shop basically with the tomtom method and they came out horrible.

Try calling Jim Nelson at PMS or Steve Forsythe at Centerline Ski and Boot in Bellevue. Steve is probably the best bootfitter in the area.

If you want a real bootfitting, which is different than merely molding the liners, follow jons advice. Everyone who has done it thinks it worth the $, but they often have odd feet.

Otherwise just mold them yourself. I've done them at home and had a store do them. At least one of the home moldings came out better than the store.

biggest problem with doing themo liners at home is that people generally do not put a cap on their toes before inserting them into the warm liner to create a pocket for their toes to wiggle around in. and you say it has a several fits left? i would say that done correctly you have about 3 fits total with a new liner.