Big Lou Non-Sighting in Leavenworth

Dwayner

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dwayner, So on Sunday me and a buddy head up to Mount Rainier in hope of scoring some of these freshies and bum around the RMI shack in hopes of a BigLou sighting , autographs, photo ops, book signings, etc.- No Louie, and we looked, man! We found the skiing to be great, the freshies FINE, and the bliss of the gliss unsurpassed.

schuss loose,

Beck

Some of us were also in faux Bavaria this weekend. Instead of trying to take in the last bit of warmth the rocks could offer, we were in search of the freshies!

On Sat morning, I headed out with Chris_W to go snow camping and guage my fitness level for snow slogging adventure this winter. Colchuck Lake was a perfect destination. We enjoyed several inches of new snow and the fall colors lower on the trail were spectacular.

Sorry we missed you Dwayner. Maybe next time...

Peshastin Saturday, we arrived there first to find it closed but parked in a nearby orchard and proceeded to climb all day. Quite a few other groups joined us in the sun!

For those who care, Peshastin is officially closed until March, as of last week sometime...

Alex

Saturday morning..early..carpool with "pope". Our mission was twofold: To visit the Leavenworth region on what might be the last rock climbable weekend of the season, and see if Big Lou might have the same idea (but not necessarily in that order). As we cruised over the passes, our conversation centered on one thing and one thing only: the word "freshies", a term neither of us had ever heard until a a couple of weeks ago on this very bulletin board; a word that somehow made us laugh our heads off for the entire outbound trip. (We're still not sure what that word means!) Upon reaching Highway 2, "pope" insisted on heading into 11-worth for some dang expensive coffee drink. (He made two such purchases that day, and on the second occasion, he got verbally frisky with the "barrista", by insisting that his drink be called a "grande Americano" instead of an "Americano grande". Expecting a flirtatious backlash, he received nothing more than rolled eyes and a sneer.) "Genug"! I yelled in German, the lingua franca of faux Bavaria. "Do you want to go climbing today or what!" "pre-bailing", it's called; setting oneself up for backing out. "Don't the cheerleaders around here practice on Saturday?" asked pope. I grabbed "pope" by the collars and pushed him against the brick wall of a trinket shop. "Get a hold of yourself, laddy! The crags be calling!" Thinking he was part of the local color, some tourists stood next to the disheveled "pope" and took pictures, just enough to add a little sobriety to his day. The word "freshie" was not uttered again for a good while, even when we took the dirty back road to the Peshastin Pinnacles which to my dismay, and pope's delight, were closed for the season. Had we taken the main highway, we would have noticed the sign. Back to Leavenworth for more stalling and then to Castle Rock, whose parking lot was empty except for one car with a group of three, experimenting on Midway and later Saber. pope led some face on Jello Tower and then the notorious "Dan's Dreadful Direct" was top-roped, a reasonable alternative to the bolt fiasco of earlier this year. We then moved up the Icicle Canyon, likewise devoid of climbers even on the most popular stuff. We did a fast trip up to "Gibler's" dome and then it started getting dark. A big question: where were the dang climbers? Not that we missed them, but it was a real surprise. Two possibilities: they were at home scribbling on this web-site, or they were all out at Vantage, lining up to fulfill their bolt-clipping fantasies. These are just preliminary hypotheses. We don't know the truth in this matter and we really don't care. It was great out there. Cool breezes, spectacular fall colors, etc. At the end of the day, pope dropped his usual cocky demeanor and says, "this is what climbing's all about". "I thought Big Lou was what climbing's all about?", I countered. "That, too!" he honestly replied. By the way, Big Lou was not sighted that day, not even in the Mexican Restaurant in Sultan where the word "hotcha!" was exclaimed by our party on many occasions. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it for the moment.

aloha, Dwayner.

Peshastin in winter is a critical breeding habitat for the endangered Wrinkly Beckey. This species (known by its mating cry of "Hey, does your boyfriend climb? Want to go climbing with me sometime?") is currently known to be having trouble reproducing and the Peshastin Pinnacles Habitat Conservation Plan recommended a closure to allow some privacy for the mating attempt.