Backpacker's Supply Issue

Shaun

I rescently bought almost all my AT gear from Backpacker's Supply in Tacoma. This included Garmont Mega Ride boots. The boots fit really well right off the shelf, but after some skiing in them, I decided to get them themal-molded. They had someone who had never done this before help me and they had me tighten the boots down untill they were tight while they were cooling. We later learned that this isn't the way to do it, and as a result, my boots that used to fit really well are really loose, even when all the buckles are as tight as they can go. We tried to reheat the liners and try again, but they didn't expand much the second time. I was later told that the first time the liners are heated, they have a large range of expansion/or contraction (they would change a lot in size either way), and after that they won't change much, it is more for just micro fitting them, or refit after they pack out.

So my question is: should they be supplying me with new liners? I am really bummed that this has happened, but they are the experts that I go to because they know more than I do, and they caused the problem. I was told to go back and talk to their ski expert that I bought them from, not the guy that fitted them for me. I wanted to know what to expect before I went in.

Thanks for your thoughts.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will definately let everyone know what happens. Other than this incident, they have been very good at answering my questions and I don't feel like they have taken advantage of me (like selling me something that I don't need). I will make it in there sometime this week and see what they can do for me. If they do the right thing, I will be a customer of theirs for life.

I will keep everyone posted...

Shaun,

I am the one who sold you those boots, definitly come back in, I'll make sure I'm there and I'll take care of you. Unfortunatly we have some new people working at the shop that sort of took on a few things they shouldn't have (like thermo molding without proper training). While we certainly appreciate the enthusiasm, it isn't how we want things run there. I think we have the issue worked out and are setting up a better program to get everyone on the same page. I'll be in this week on Thursday and Friday, then again Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Hope to see you, and sorry for the mistake.

Aaron

I started reading this post and decided I would post a comment about how great of a shop backpackers is, and how I was sure that they would fix your problem with out a question asked! By the time I finished reading the thread I realized they already got too it thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

If it wasnt for Backpackers, Tacoma would be hurting for climbing gear, and employees that know what they are talking about. The REI here isnt worth a DAMN, nobody there that I have talked too has any business selling climbing gear. I always try to spend my money at Backpackers, even if I can find something for cheaper at REI.

I am the one who thermofit your boots. It was the first one I had ever done. I have only worked there now for about three weeks. I had watched several done before and thought I had it down, but I was wrong. I apologize sincerely for my mistake. I was only trying to do my job, but I overstepped my bounds with what I knew. The employees at Backpackers Supply are very knowledgable and extremely helpful. That is why I have been shopping there for over ten years (even before they were located on S. Tacoma Way). It is a great store and that is why I applied and now work there. I am sorry I made this mistake and made Backpackers Supply look bad. I just wasn't fully knowledgable with the process of thermofitting boots. Again, my apologies to Shaun.

Nice! and kudos to the shop and the folks with the honesty to respond to pulic query. Mistakes are easy to make but to admit and be honest is a rare thing in this day and age. Both employees of BPS I think deserve much credit to being open and honest! Cheers!

fruit.gif

I will either be going in on Sunday or Monday to get this issue resolved. I would like to thank both Andrew and Aaron for the help that they have given me so far. Andrew is the one who fit my boots, but as we have both posted before, it was his first time, and I don't think that it was his fault. Aaron was very knowledgable and I recomend anyone talking to him with any questions they may have.

I will post in a day or two about how wonderful the people at Backpacker's are, and how wonderful my boots fit.

took on a few things they shouldn't have (like thermo molding without proper training)

On his defence, I think that he thought that he was going to be getting the training, and was somewhat left in the cold with a customer in hot boot liners.

Just wanted to let everyone know that they gladly replaced the liners, just like they said that they would. They also gave me a good price on some Superfeet to help them fit me better. It seemed obvious that they felt bad and did what they could to make the situation better. Thanks to the guys at Backpackers Supply.