Jumbo Eggs

knotzen

I accidently picked up a carton of Jumbo eggs at the grocery store. They're huge--at least 1.5 times the size of "regular" eggs.

But, how do they "make" Jumbo eggs? Do they use giant chickens? Let "regular" eggs sit longer before seizing them from the hen (eww--egg or fetus?)? Are there certain breeds of chickens that produce large eggs? confused.gif

I'll throw rotten eggs at the first person who says they're laid by fat chicks. rolleyes.gif

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As usual, the truth is boring. yellowsleep.gif

What I've always wondered is what the deal is with brown eggs. My grandma always said brown eggs were healthier, but then a friend who kept chickens said no no, it's just different chicken varieties: some lay white, some lay brown eggs.

Ok, then, how come all the ORGANIC (and free range too, I think) eggs happen to be brown, hmmm? Is it just that companies hawking organic eggs have thought of my grandmother, and are only stocking brown-egg-laying chickens because they (wisely, it seems) know we healthy types will prefer them?? confused.gif

The white brown thing is just a breed thing. But when you have an egg from a chicken that eats lots of organic shit such as bugs and stuff then the yolks are much deeper yellow or orange. An egg will keep for a long time but the older they are the more watery the white gets and when you crack it into a pan it will more runny. I had Indian Runner ducks for a few years and the eggs you get from them are unbelievably good and much better for you. Alas my duck experiment turned into a raccoon feeding experiment so no more ducks. Thanks for letting me ramble on here, those little ducks really meant a lot to me and now that they are gone.. well I just feel lonely all the time. Fucking Raccoon bastards.. they don't know what they've done. If I every catch one of those frothing little rabid fucks I will smash their skulls with a shovel..and eat their babies.

Toad, I feel your pain. I had trouble with raccoons, until I built a really sturdy coop for my chickens using 1/2 inch hardware cloth. Even the floor has hardware cloth under the ground. No troubles since.

There is a breed of chickens called Black Giant. We had one once. They are huge- about half again to twice the size of the average chicken. As you might expect, they lay jumbo sized eggs.

I asked a bonafide chicken expert, yes, you may have saw her in her youth, on JP Patches with the prize chicken on her shoulder...she says it depends on how old the chicken is, and even a little tiny chicken can lay a jumbo egg...she doesn't buy into the ephedra story, and in fact says that ephedra eating birds lay eggs with shells too soft to be marketable, and they're really nervous...

If you can't get real eggs from a farm, try the expensive organic free range kind at least. Often a little on the small side, with deep golden yolks, and way tastier than the regular cheap kind.

I went to Asia last year and couldn't believe how good the eggs were over there. I've never been a huge egg eater, but wow, the eggs there were 100 times better than almost every egg I've ever eaten here. I assume it's because they treat their chickens like chickens, letting them scrabble around in the dirt and eating bugs and worms and stuff, rather than how we treat ours here, which is kind of how we treat baby cows that are going to become veal--ugh.

As usual, the truth is boring. yellowsleep.gif

What I've always wondered is what the deal is with brown eggs. My grandma always said brown eggs were healthier, but then a friend who kept chickens said no no, it's just different chicken varieties: some lay white, some lay brown eggs.

Ok, then, how come all the ORGANIC (and free range too, I think) eggs happen to be brown, hmmm? Is it just that companies hawking organic eggs have thought of my grandmother, and are only stocking brown-egg-laying chickens because they (wisely, it seems) know we healthy types will prefer them?? confused.gif

I eat only the supposed "free range" eggs and they are white without exception. They don't taste any better than eggs from tortured, miserable chickens & they cost a lot more but somehow it all works better for me to do that.

Alas my duck experiment turned into a raccoon feeding experiment so no more ducks. Thanks for letting me ramble on here, those little ducks really meant a lot to me and now that they are gone.. well I just feel lonely all the time. Fucking Raccoon bastards.. they don't know what they've done.

I feel your pain. I once assembled a motley collection of cast-off, unwanted poultry: ducks, banty hens and several roosters. I whacked together a quick, inadequate pen and coop and became quite attached to my little flock, especially the ducks. Then the raccoons came....and shortly I was left with only the pen and coop.

On the other hand everybody's gotta eat, I guess. The raccoons are no different than the people in the meat aisle at Safeway, huh?

This is a great thread. bigdrink.gif

There is a breed of chickens called Black Giant. We had one once. They are huge- about half again to twice the size of the average chicken. As you might expect, they lay jumbo sized eggs.

What a coincidence- here's a self portrait:

kingstand.jpg

If anyone needs any advice on the subject, I'm here to help.

COCK A DOODLE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a coincidence- here's a self portrait:

kingstand.jpg

If anyone needs any advice on the subject, I'm here to help.

COCK A DOODLE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmm....I always thought it was "Any Cock will DOOOOOOO!!!"

are you sure its Cock a doodle doo?? What is a doodle doo??