upcoming guidebook

jerseyscum

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I looked at that Washington topo. There must be several ways to go there, because we did a line on that buttress in 1988 that involved no bolts and no rappels, also went at about 5.7. That's a really fun feature, and at an hour away it's defintely the closest real alpine route to Olympia.

• 1 month later...

I should probably just STFU, but here 'goes....

What I like about the new book:

1) The Mount Constance and Washington route updates.

2) The picture of the Camp Pan area on page 342.

3) The addition of White Glacier Peaks area.

.....and what I don't like:

1) The size

2) The price

3) The new rock/route sketches. No Dee Molenaar he! (Sorry!)

4) The Bailey Range additions give too much away. Where's the mystery now?

5) Latitude and Longitude? Are you kidding?? Is there a Mountaineer doctrine forbidding the use of UTM? Better yet, let the traveller mark his own position with an on-site way point and find himself on a map! Again, 1000 meter UTM grid-ticks would make that easier.

6) Sport Routes in The Olympic Mountains? My God! Too much space devoted to crags that will likely revert to their mossy origins by next printing. Better to have published this section in the next Washington State rock climbing guide and left it out of this book.

The Olympics have always been a range of rain, fog, and mystery. Previous editions were very helpful....but just enough so to preserve some adventure. While I don't want a falling out with the locals here - some who worked very hard on this project, I'm sure - I think this edition strays too far from its roots. I don't know if it's Mountaineer Publishing, or OMR, but someone should have just left well enough alone.

Brian