Basic altimeter watch recommendation

curtveld

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a High Gear watch that was around $80 off of Campmor.com or SierraTradingPost.com (can't remember). So far it's worked real well and seems to have a fairly accurate altimeter as long as you keep it adjusted a couple of times a day (normal altimeter thing to do). There's a few on Campmor.com right now that may be worth checking out. bigdrink.gif

If you get the Nike be ready for a minor hassle. The altimeter program has a problem in that if the altitude falls below 0 then in goes into an error lockout. Not usually a prob once you are up but at home if the barometer changes then your altimeter goes on the fritz.

Another thought, look around on e-bay. Now that Suunto is raising the baseline models it is not unusual to find old school Suunto's new from a shop in their clearance.

If you get the Nike be ready for a minor hassle. The altimeter program has a problem in that if the altitude falls below 0 then in goes into an error lockout. Not usually a prob once you are up but at home if the barometer changes then your altimeter goes on the fritz.

Actually that's the Timex ones that have that problem. I have a Nike one and it doesn't have that problem. I had the Timex and it was a PITA--returned it after Timex told me that I had to put it in the freezer to reset it--lame.

Sometimes they have the Nikes at the Nike outlet store at the North Bend outlet mall. I got mine 2 or 3 summers ago for less than $100. Some have complained of the bands breaking on the Nike watch (Norman Clyde for one) but so far, mine has held up fine. The Nike is also one of the smaller ones.

I've compared mine to more expensive altis and calibrated against a GPS and it's as accurate as any other alti watch, far as I can tell. It was a little off at the end of last summer, but it's probably due for a new battery or a sensor cleaning. The sensors can get a bit rusty in alti watches, but your friendly watch repair place can fix that in a few minutes.

Other nice thing about the Nike is it comes in gawd-awful bright colors. This comes in handy if you have the habit of taking yours off like I do. It's such an unnatural color that I'm inclined to notice it sitting in the dirt or on a rock.

Actually that's the Timex ones that have that problem. I have a Nike one and it doesn't have that problem. I had the Timex and it was a PITA
That settles the Timex question (assuming PITA = POSconfused.gif)

Sometimes they have the Nikes at the Nike outlet store at the North Bend outlet mall.

Nike advertises something called Zero Drift Technology, which makes it sound like you never have to calibrate. Too good to be true is not something that wins me over, but sounds like you've been happy with yours.

Might give Ebay a look too - thanks Ketch wave.gif

echnology, which makes it sound like you never have to calibrate. Too good to be true is not something that wins me over, but sounds like you've been happy with yours.

So don't buy the POS - it is too good to be true. A partner had his less than year old nikes battery die on a warm July rainier. Suunto aren't bad, I like my old avocet.

I think the old Nike's were Timex. I got a Nike a few years ago that was a total waste of money POS. I threw it out and then got another one that was just as bad. That was three years ago. I haven't even considered them since, but i've also been too broke to think about buying a new one.