alps guidebook?

tthirloway

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a guidebook to the 4000m peaks in the Alps called " The Alpine 4000m Peaks by the Classic Routes" The author is Richard Goedke and it is published by the Menasha Ridge Press in Birmingham, AL

I got it a few years ago when I thought I might be headed over there to climb. I have not used it to plan a trip, but it seems to cover a fairly wide range of the Alps and has history/route info and quite a few photos.

I'm going to hang on to this copy for a bit longer, but you might be able to find one if you do an online search or ask a local bookstore to find it for you.

100 finest routes in the Mont Blanc Massif by Gaston Rebuffat. It is out of print, but you might find one on amazon.com or something. It is almost like a coffee table book, but has excellent route beta on the best routes around Chamonix.

4000m Peaks Classic Routes in the ALps by Richard Goedeke is another.

THere is several good ones in French and German that you'll find once you are there.

Have fun. wave.gif

My wife and I relied on 'Snow, ice and mixed' by Francois Damilano, and an Alpine Club (UK) guidebook. The former has 2 volumes covering the French Alps. The latter is similar if I remember. The Alpine Club also has published a guide book for the Swiss Alps. These books are easy to find once you are over there, but probably trickier to find here in the States.

These books are easy to find once you are over there, but probably trickier to find here in the States.

www.bookfinder.com

or just order them for a place like cham3s, amazon.co.uk or barrabes.

The Rebuffat MB guide is quite good, the Alpine 4000m peaks is a very dated guide to some very awesome mountains by mostly unspectacular routes. Avoid.

The UK guide books, Vol 1 and 2 I have found the best for Chamonix they are by Lindsy Griffin you can get them at Chelser books (sp?) plus there are the OHM's (High mtn offices) and guide offices where you can get Topos of other routes and current condtions

Go with the British Alpine Club books (Vol. 1 and 2). They are kinda hard to come by - one of the only places I've seen them in the States that I can remember was Neptune Mountaineering in Boulder, CO. Of course, you asked about the Alps and these books are pretty much Chamonix specific. The British Alpine Club also has similar books (same size, style, and format) for many other areas in the Alps as well - I've seen a few of these at Neptune as well. Maybe give them a call and see what they have.

Good luck!

-Todd

Oh, I was just letting him know I've got Vol 1 of the Mont Blanc Massif Griffin book and that if he wanted it I would sell it to him. I think I paid like 50 euro for it in Chamonix, it was hard to find. If anyone else wants it I don't think I'm heading back that way in the near future so PM me.