jon

Humor  

327 members have voted

1. 1. Humor

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The photog's shadow doesn't bother me as much as the bluish cast in the shadows.

I'm actually growing to like the other two shots -- the seaside one and the one that looks like it's from Lworth. I like the strong slanty light and the ocean from the first as well as the climber's pose and good exposure of fore and back in the second. But they never wow-ed me up front. Maybe the people were too small or there was too much clutter (bouldering pads, bush atop the boulder, etc.)

Sorry, I was new to digital DEE and ICE when i scanned it, thus the blue cast in the shadows and the burned out highlights on the boulder. I aim to do better next time.

You are right about my shadow. It is annoying. It stung when I noticed that after getting the slides back. It's tough with a fisheye when the sun is on your back. I am not a sophisticated enough photochop user to take that out. Nor did I think it was worth my time.

Would be nice in future years to have a minimum resolution established... at least 1024x768.

Skiing #1 disappoints me: contrast is too blown out.

Bouldering shots overall were disappointing. All were landscapish dude-on-boulder shots, nor with especially spectacular scenery/lighting. Bouldering shots more in the line of Climbing #8 would have been nice -- closeups of dynamic moves. But none were submitted? I say axe the category and put in more categories for climbing. There are several fantastic climbing shots.

You're right, my photo is blown out. I really didn't think before I posted.

I bought a new scanner, a nikon Coolscan V. I'm pretty excited. Until yesterday, I had the shop do their scans for a few bucks a roll. Here is a comparision of the shot I posted:

Shop: http://cascadecrusades.org/SkiMountainee...couloirking.JPG

Nikon Scanner: http://cascadecrusades.org/misc/New%20Folder/joshcouloir3.jpg

Here's some stoke. http://cascadecrusades.org/Untitled-6.htm

ps the nikon scan looks like the actual slide. The picture is still a bit off.

Edited by AllYouCanEat

[quote

I bought a new scanner, a nikon Coolscan V. I'm pretty excited.

Coolscan V rockband.gif!

In the interest of fastest acceptable throughput I do only minimal processing with the scanning software (ICE only) & do any further twiddling in photoshop.

Are your samples both scanned and posted at the same resolution?

Are your samples both scanned and posted at the same resolution?

I don't know what the shop scans photos at. The files are big but the quality isn't there. The Nikon scanner does far better and gives a very realistic representation of what's on the actual slides.

I only use the ICE feature, but on very old photos tried the other features on the scanner. This thing can do some amazing stuff.