2nd Annual CC.com Photo Contestizzle VOTING

jon

Humor  

327 members have voted

1. 1. Humor

gaaaarry, those pics are mostly out of focus, and the lighting is MISERABLE! It is hard to take really good pics in the forest at squam.......I have only taken used my new camera twice for climbing pics over a year ago, but I would love to go out now with it! Here are some old pics for gary:

zero_friction_pic_10654.jpg

zero_friction_pic_9810.jpg

Ktaylor photo with my camera

a better picture of babiharabababs than the one you linked:

zero_friction_pic_7733.jpg

MUSCLES, FLEXING! GGGRRRRR

zero_friction_pic_6774.jpg

and then tone it down with a little sloper finesse action:

zero_friction_pic_6758.jpg

OMG! LOL! Look at his face!?

zero_friction_pic_6573.jpg

Squam forest.....tough light, wish I was a better photog:

zero_friction_pic_6460.jpg

zero_friction_pic_6456.jpg

zero_friction_pic_5056.jpg

zero_friction_pic_4809.jpg

zero_friction_pic_4804.jpg

zero_friction_pic_4806.jpg

zero_friction_pic_4342.jpg

zero_friction_pic_4330.jpg

zero_friction_pic_4332.jpg

now, I don't think any of these pictures are that great, maybe one or two I would enter in a contest. However I do think the photo I entered is better than all but one or two of the above photos. Gary, are any of these what you were looking for? If not, oh well. If so, good.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However I do think the photo I entered is better than all but one or two of the above photos. Gary, are any of these what you were looking for? If not, oh well. If so, good.

I'm assuming you entered the fisheye of the boulder? I like the composition. The boulder is overexposed though, and the black clothes of the climber certainly doesn't help.

That style of shot to me is a "person in landscape" shot, and the aspect of bouldering really doesn't make the shot any more special. It's the best of the bouldering shots available, but I would have hoped to see shots like Cam's ripped bod sendin'.

The photog's shadow doesn't bother me as much as the bluish cast in the shadows.

I'm actually growing to like the other two shots -- the seaside one and the one that looks like it's from Lworth. I like the strong slanty light and the ocean from the first as well as the climber's pose and good exposure of fore and back in the second. But they never wow-ed me up front. Maybe the people were too small or there was too much clutter (bouldering pads, bush atop the boulder, etc.)

Thanks for the onslaught of your photos -- you have some good action shots.

Luke, those are not your best pics, but I do like "sloper finesse".

I think the best pics you've posted on cc are the ones that capture the MGL landscape, as different as is is from here. the pictures really give you the sense of how far away all of that is from what we know, if that makes any sense at all.

Would be nice in future years to have a minimum resolution established... at least 1024x768.

I think that it would be nice if there were a fixed size. 1024x768 sounds good to me. If someone had an image that was a different proportion they could use a black background to make up the difference. It is difficult to compare images that jump all over the place.

Bouldering shots overall were disappointing. All were landscapish dude-on-boulder shots, nor with especially spectacular scenery/lighting. Bouldering shots more in the line of Climbing #8 would have been nice -- closeups of dynamic moves.
I took a look at the link you posted and I have to say I wouldn't have voted for any of them had they made the final. I think that having some great scenery makes the composition much more interesting. If you are going to have just a closeup the light and background have to be perfect or the shot is just of some guys muscular arm, which is not that interesting.

I took a look at the link you posted and I have to say I wouldn't have voted for any of them had they made the final. I think that having some great scenery makes the composition much more interesting. If you are going to have just a closeup the light and background have to be perfect or the shot is just of some guys muscular arm, which is not that interesting.

I guess the problem is for a photograph to be good, you need to have a good subject, composition, lighting, and technique (focus, exposure, sharpness, etc.). I like the subject in Cam's shots, while you've noted that they may be lacking in other categories. Some of the bouldering shots in this contest, in my opinion, could have more inspiring subjects -- either closeups of dynamic muscular bods or more aesthetic boulders.

Take a look at Corey Rich's website (I posted a link under the personal websites forum). Some impressive bouldering shots there, but I suppose he has a little advantage over average cc.commies with subjects such as Chris Sharma and Katie Brown and professional gigs in India.

Take a look at Corey Rich's website (I posted a link under the personal websites forum). Some impressive bouldering shots there, but I suppose he has a little advantage over average cc.commies with subjects such as Chris Sharma and Katie Brown and professional gigs in India.

Now those are some great bouldering shots. Not probably a fair comparison as you mentioned, but a worthy goal no doubt.