Hood snow conditions

OlegV

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chad, Rob, Paul and I went up Tilly Jane today. The weather was suprisingly nice. There was 1-5 inches of new snow on top of a firm pack. No real postholing issues. My preference of skis worked great. Snowshoes were a good call, but as the temps warmed, some of the guys seemed to have some balling issues.

I'll let Chad comment on the North Face route as you can see this in the pictures.

Here are some highlights:

Mt Hood \ Cooper Spur \ North Face

790820060416_Mt_Hood_015_adj.jpg

Fresh tracks coming down set against the mountain

790820060416_Mt_Hood_031_adj.jpg

-r

Edited by RogerJ

Yes we started at Tilly Jane Trail trailhead. We opted for doing the Pollalie Ridge trail for a change of pace which was pretty thin on the snow front at some spots. I finally packed my skis for 1/2 mile when we hit a bunch of windfall. We continued up the ridge and then over to the Elliot moraine up to about 6900 feet where the cairn is.

We took the Tilly Jane trail down from the cabin which is pretty packed and solid. There were no bare spots but I suspect that a few warm days will change that down low.

Snow above 4500 feeet is still pretty thick. The little stone shelter at about 6900 feet remains burried and there is a lot of hard pack under fresh layer that fell this weekend.

-r

yeah, looks like this warm weather is going to last until friday. then then the freezing levels going to drop back down, only to go right back up again on saturday. Which hopefully means that there has been some consolidation. so for those who have friday off looks like that will be the day to climb this week. Sandy, Yocum, Reid should be in thursday night friday day.