Hood snow conditions

OlegV

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We left T-Line at 04:30, and saw no less than 10 people returning for the reasons described above. We left in misty cinditions. Snow conditions on the Palmer area were very firm with crusty ice but skinable. The mountain was clear by 06:30 and conditions were sunny at sunrise. Unfortunatly, we had to turn early not due to weather but a health issue with someone in the party.

Snow conditions improved as the sun hit the snow. Skiing down was a fairly icy at first.

There were plenty of people there Sunday and I am sure someone else can share conditions all the way up.

I anxiously await the next high pressure system smile.gif It would also be nice to get a little more fresh this coming week.

-r

I'll be interested in your take on the conditions. We left the truck at 2:15 and slogged through freezing rain and poor visibility to the top of the ski slope. Didn't look like it was planning on improving so we turned back.

Spotly, I think you left right behind us. We were two in a minivan that left a few minutes after 2. I think timing was key on Sunday. We had to bail on our plans, too, and I'm guessing you would have broken into the clear just a bit above the Palmer. We were off to do the Sandy and had perfect starry skies at the start. A large cloud bank started rising up just to the west and seemed to settle in against the southwest side of the mountain. We started losing sight of I-Rock as we approached it, and by the time we found the saddle we couldn't see a thing and were starting to get wet from mist. We sat in an old snow cave for about 20 minutes, but it just got worse and we just got colder. We ended up heading up into the fog to the left of Crater Rock and topped out via the West Crater variation. Of course, about 500 feet above I-Saddle things started to clear everywhere. Two guys on their way to Yocum had arrived at the saddle just as we were bailing, and were going to wait themselves in the cave and hope for improvement. My guess is that they were able to go ahead with their climb. Once that cloud cleared, about 4:30 or so, conditions were great up high. And snow conditions were great all the way.

I read summitseekers report for their climb on Sunday and my stomach turned. Been trying to get up there all season and bailed too quickly. Oh well, seemed like the right decision at the time since neither one of us had first-hand knowledge of the route. We're hoping to try the Leuthold Couloir route on the 25th so hopefully it'll be in shape then. The drive RT from Spokane is murder on the pocketbook and the wife is liable to start interjecting herself into the plans if I have to do it too many times smile.gif "ugh" is about all I can say last Sunday. Glad to hear that others got to the top though.

Standard route was in great shape on Sunday. Went up the left chute (little ice) then down the right chute (somewhat loose snow but still good). Real cold in the morning but I was sweating by the time I came down. Woo hoo! Took 2 weekends in a row but finally got it.

• 1 month later...

i think that there is a little bit of consolidation going down right now just because the snow thats been falling has been somewhat wet and heavy. I think a day or two of no snow and youd be good. I am going to head up to the north side on saturday and i'll let you know how the snow is.

We didn't do Leuthold, due to helping the lost climber cause. Instead we did the standard S.Side where the missing climbers had climbed.

The snow on the S.Side was very boot-track friendly but there are some areas that you'll still punch through but nothing seriously deep.

I see T-Line got 2 inches overnight and more is on the way. I'm heading up Sunday again.

Skinning up was a line picking challenge. There was a thin layer of rhime\hoar\snow and lots of interesting snow features. You could pick a line and skin like it you were skining on perfect conditions and 3 feet one way or the other, it was an icy bumpy mess.

Overall, visibility was\is the main concern. The cloud layer yeaterday was below the top of the Palmer.

-r

Great walking conditions today, no need for snowshoes. The Palmer was pretty hardpack (I took the snowboard; bad day for that, but then again, I'm a newbie).

Here's some pics.

South Side overview (Rimey!)

4625South_Side.jpg

Illumination Rock:

4625Clear_IRock.jpg

Castle Crags and Crater Rock:

4625Castle_Crags.jpg

4625Crater_Rock.jpg

And, as a last minute stop, a pic of the North Face from afar:

4625NE_Side.jpg

Weekenders cannot get a break.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PORTLAND OR

533 AM PDT TUE APR 11 2006

ORZ011-013-WAZ019-121245-

NORTHERN OREGON CASCADES-CASCADES IN LANE COUNTY-

SOUTH WASHINGTON CASCADES-

532 AM PDT TUE APR 11 2006

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PORTIONS OF NORTHWEST

OREGON AND SOUTHWEST WASHINGTON.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT

NO HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY

SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATION IS POSSIBLE ABOVE 3000 FEET

BEGINNING FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND CONTINUING THROUGH THE WEEKEND.

WINTER STORM WARNINGS WILL LIKELY BE NEEDED.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT..

SPOTTERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO REPORT SIGNIFICANT WEATHER.