paid advertisers masquerading as posters

Dru

It's no joke - especially for high-traffic websites like cc.com or rc.com, there are people who get paid to post glowing reviews of products and/or links to websites. It's a subtle type of spam.

Some of these ppl work for gear companies, some are employees of advertising firms trying to generate "street cred" and word of mouth hype fr a new product. Some work for retailers, and some are just hoping that if they pimp the newest gear that one of the aforementioned retailers or gear makers will give them free product or a pro-deal.

How can you identify these guys? Some behaviour patterns we see repeated over and over.

1) Posts full of links to specific products or to a specific retailers website

2) Posts like "I've heard that a select group has been testing the hot new Sportyfoo 5000. Anyone get a chance to test out these rad new widgets yet? They will revolutionize the game!"

3) Posts where they tell newbies that Brand X is the best.

4) Posts titled "Hot New Gear From West Pole Brand!!!!!!" or similar

Be alert and report all such posts to the spam cops so we can dish out a smackdown! mad.gifthe_finger.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gif

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He isn't sponsored and doesn't work at a gear shop. I think he is genuinely stoked to finally get his hands on that pack... that's all. Wild Things is so strapped for spectra due to the war they weren't even giving PD on it for awhile.

With that said I think Dru is on the right track... smack down for all the paid help thumbs_up.gif

You are off base on my post--I am just a guy who wanted to share. Out here in Colorado, I have not found a local site like this one (and this is a pretty rad site)--there was one that I used to go on alot at www.mtncommunity.org and many of you may remember me from there. I work with Architects, not climbers, but I was born in and grew up in Idyllwild, CA (Taquitz and Suicide)and have been climbing and mountaineering since the early 70's. I took the last few years off after my trip to the Ruth to climb with my best friend and as circumstances had it, I could not climb with him anymore and so I took a hiatus. I have a lot of tips and tricks that I can pass on, and I can learn alot from you all as well. I am a bonafide gear slut--so I have tried a ton of crap and a few good pieces too--I like to share those things when appropriate. If one of the moderators want to drop me an e-mail, I will give you my phone number and we can chat--but the above accusation is off base (I am not offended).

As for my post--I almost put it under the 5500+ pack post, but I have seen many people comment on the spectra andi and I thought that would merrit its own post. As for being stoked, how would you feel if you waited 4 months to get a pack and it finally arrives? You would be STOKED!

Enough to satisy? Hope so--I sure would like to stick around. If not, I won't cause a stir and will leave in peace.

Peace to all--

How can you identify these guys? Some behaviour patterns we see repeated over and over.

1) Posts full of links to specific products or to a specific retailers website

2) Posts like "I've heard that a select group has been testing the hot new Sportyfoo 5000. Anyone get a chance to test out these rad new widgets yet? They will revolutionize the game!"

3) Posts where they tell newbies that Brand X is the best.

4) Posts titled "Hot New Gear From West Pole Brand!!!!!!" or similar

Dru are you a paid employee of CAMP hired on to increase sales of Pink Tricams?

P.S. Maybe I should out myself for past employment and endorsement of the Stehekin Bakery? yelrotflmao.gif

Davis,

what is a gear whore? I have never heard of such a person and I don't think there are any here on this site. You must feel out of place, eh?

Anyway, I must go. I have another gear closet to build. Yeah, maybe some more shelves this time. Ooooo and some of those plastic baskets to hold all my gloves and mitts. Hey, how about that Patagonia Spectra jacket at 8.5oz. I gotta get a better paying job.

Congrats on the spectra pack. I hope my 54oz 1996 Andinista lasts a couple more trips. I would hate, to be forced, to buy the Spectra model. Why not McHale?

Hi Dru and all

first off I agree with you 100% on the masqueraded post, I too think they don’t have a place on this forum. I have been working in the industry for 10 years and although I have never heard of someone being

"paid to post" I am sure there out there.

I do however really enjoy having professional like Will Gadd, Murrey and the bunch intelligently contributing to this forum. It took me a very long time to start posting here in fear of getting "flame" but in the end if people are stay up about who they are then we can make a inform judgment on there credibility.

Ok the actual point of this post is that has a manufacturer/designer

I really value the opinion and review posted here and I must say that its a great source of inspiration for me. It would be very sad if this tread discouraged people like Davis to post there opinions on there latest acquire gear.

On different note I just say Return 2 Sender (climbing movie) and man am I pump! Got's to find me some of them desert crack ...

Cheers

Gabriel

Okay, I'm going to take it seriously this time.

First off, I am a manufacturer. And I think my packs are totally superior to everything else, and they dance badly just like me. I make the lightest practical packs in the world, the most durable and the most adjustable and they're so cool, you'll have a better sex life if you buy three! grin.gif

Second, I think that pretty much only the desperate bastards are going to anonymously or similar post about their product. There are quite a few people representing the climbing industry on the web, from folks at petzl and trango to madrock and fiveten. I think there are several people making a good effort, but I hear a lot of folks in the industry slagging off forums and being generally scared of the internet. Its kinda strange to me. In larger markets, it might be worth it to hire some college students to make the type of raah rahh post that's under discussion here, but I don't think there is enough money in making climbing gear to make it worth while.

Third, there is no shortage of spectra any more, and there haven't been for some time. DSM opened a new plant in North Carolina over a year and a half ago, and it just isn't true that there is a shortage of spectra. On the other hand, the mill that makes the fabric for certain pack companies charges a couple of grand just to think about making fabric. So, before you spend $15-20k on fabric, you want to make sure you can sell as much of it as possible.

Cheers,

Crackers

edit: left off the last 's' for shthead! thanks wanker! bigdrink.gif

Edited by crackers

Yo, Jedi--I feel, as a newbie stranger, to clear something up right here, right now. I am not a gear whore. I am a gear slut. If I got paid, then I would be a gear whore and Dru and Catbirdseat would have something to point at me. No, I am a gear slut for free! ;-)

But you mention a gear closet to build--you should get one of these (or build one) they are indespensible.

www.gearstash.com

And NO, I AM NOT AFFILITATED WITH THEM! SHEESH! cantfocus.gif