Cyclops kitten born in Redmond Oregon!

EWolfe

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

"AP regional photo editor Tom Stathis said he took extensive steps to confirm the one-eyed cat was not a hoax. Stathis had Allen ship him the memory card that was in her camera. On the card were a number of pictures — including holiday snapshots, and four pictures of a one-eyed kitten. The kitten pictures showed the animal from different perspectives.

Fabricating those images in sequence and in the camera's original picture format, from the varying perspectives, would have been virtually impossible, Stathis said."

It doesn't sound too impossible. I would believe it if it was recorded on fine-grain 35 mm film, or if vets actually looked at the body.

From Snopes:

Typically in cyclopic births the nose is either absent or present as an appendage located above the single eye. (Eyelids are also generally absent in such births, which explains why the eye of the one-day-old kitten pictured above is open even though cats are usually born with their eyes shut and remain in that condition for the first week or two of their lives.)

Happens to goats, related to false hellebore ingestion during gestation.

kid1.jpg

From Snopes:

Typically in cyclopic births the nose is either absent or present as an appendage located above the single eye. (Eyelids are also generally absent in such births, which explains why the eye of the one-day-old kitten pictured above is open even though cats are usually born with their eyes shut and remain in that condition for the first week or two of their lives.)

Happens to goats, related to false hellebore ingestion during gestation.

kid1.jpg

Way to go OW I'm with yo on this one, amazing thumbs_up.gif

MisterE's got a good point, if you'll look closely, you'll see that the goat has two pupils in the single eyeball. I think it was stillborn though, or at least died within the hour, and was likely brain damaged to boot.

We're gonna have somewhere between four and six goats born at my place this spring, I'm banking on two eyes a piece.

Also very common with sheep. If western false hellebore is ingested (especially) during the 14th day of gestation, a deformity in the lamb known as monkey-faced lamb occurs, which looks much like the picture of the goat. Also, the brain is extremely under developed and is generally the size of a marble. Cattle are slighty susceptible as well, but only if no other green forage is available.

i can't beleive no one has mentioned so far that if you look at a mastedon skull it looks like it has one giant eye socket (to accomodate the trunk) and that anthropologists have speculated that stone age humans may have found mastedon skulls and beleived the skulls to be those of one eyed giants.