NOVA Denali show coming up

Alpine_Tom

It's probably not up to the classics -- Cliffhanger or Vertical Limit, but NOVA has a show about climbing on Denali this coming Tuesday (1/17)

In an exploration of extreme medical science, NOVA ascends Alaska's Denali -- aka Mt. McKinley -- to try to solve the mystery of high-altitude deaths on one of the most dangerous mountains on Earth. NOVA chronicles daring mountain rescues and emergency medical evacuations as it accompanies an expedition team of researchers and experts employing the latest NASA technology to investigate the potentially lethal diseases that can attack climbers anywhere in the world.

My 8-year-old is a total science nerd, so we'll be watching it.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hector is a good friend of mine. We were on a trip once, and I was telling him how I had been having trouble because my wife as a non-climber was opposed to the amount of climbing/guiding travel I was doing. He said with a smile "yeah, I've got the same kind of problem. Except Aracelli wants to go to K2 again this year (would have been his 3rd trip there in 4 years or something) and I'm not feeling it as much this year. But she's really pushing for it, it's a real problem..."

My wife got the same vibe from the K2 show, some of the guys were a little cocky. It was clear they were just going in with an edgy angle to stir the pot a little, and they got a lot of the type of quotes they wanted. It was like their premise was a bit like throwing down the gantlet and seeing if their chosen climber Aracelli might do well and win. Either way, then they were guaranteed a good story, their ass was covered. Pretty nice footage though.

I liked that Denali show. Great footage. I thought that the core temperature research was really interesting, compelling. Watching how differently people's bodies reacted and what a difference it made.