Hangboard Mounting

BarePaw

I'm thinking about a Metolius Slim Gym for my apartment. I've read the reviews that say it's cramped, but it's all I have space for. My problem is that the wall where I want to put it has no studs (even at the edges of the doors). I am, however, reading about 1 1/2" of ceiling joist sticking down into the wall with my studfinder. If I screw the top end of a piece of 3/4" plywood into that inch of joist, then mount the hangboard on that, will it hold my 190 pound arse? Has anybody else dealt with these that can give me advice?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The construction detail that you describe with a ceiling joist hanging down into the wall makes no sense from a construction standpoint. You are probably reading the top two plates of the wall, which should hold a truck if properly screwed to. It also doesn't make any sense that you have no studs next to a door opening. Under normal conditions, with no studs next to it and held only by drywall, the door would flop out. Stud finders don't measure the density of a wall, they find screws and nails that attach the sheetrock using a magnetic sensor, whoever built the room was probably lazy and didn't screw it off. Take a finish nail and tap it into the sheetrock at 1-inch intervals to find the studs.

Assuming that you are putting this above the door. Attach like so.

1. Pre drill the 3/4 ply w/ 1/4" bit-3/4" from the top.(4 or 5 evenly space)

2. Put the ply where you want it above the door and then drill thru these holes, making a mark.

3. Pre drill the the plate making pilot hole for 1/2" lags. 4.Attach hangboard to ply.

* Just make sure to drill pilot holes or you'll split the wood and then yous be fucked.

Edited by ZimZam

I have recently found out that the old 4X6 headers are a thing of the past in newer construction. Nonetheless, as mentioned, you should be able to tie into the king studs on either side of the doorway with your plywood, and an anchor point or two at the header (2X4?!?) should be bomber in conjunction with those king anchors. Screws are fine, especially for the smaller board. bigdrink.gif

You should be able to locate the studs by tapping on the wall with your fist or a hammer- it will feel more solid and sound less hollow when you find a stud. Stud finders, especially the cheap kind, may not work well on certain walls such as plaster and lathe.

I got it mounted. I have the good kind of studfinder (not magnetic), but because the building is so old and has plaster walls, it was throwing it off. I found enough solid material behind the wall to get 6 #9 x 3" screws holding the plywood up. The hangboard came with five screws that I just put through the plywood and wall. It holds me up just fine. Thanks for the replies.