Nalgene Danger

Jason_Martin

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried testing Nalgene water for Bisphenol A by LC/MS, but it was below the detectable limit. I figure, I'd have to extract into organic solvent and concentrate to get measurable quantities.

Anyway, for what it's worth. Phenolic compounds are more soluble in alkaline solution and less soluble in acidic solution. The "harsh detergent" mentioned in the article is probably very basic (alkaline). The sports drinks most people use are rather acidic, owing to citric acid, etc.

The upshot is that if you put your bottle away with water in it, dump it out and refill with fresh before you go out.

Yes, they do affect the taste more but I wouldn't characterize it as a strong or unpleasent taste. I have used those bottles before and never had a problem with that. The question is how long it will take before a study shows those are just as cancerous for you. cantfocus.gif

I have heard this concern over the past three to four years from customers looking for nalgene substitutes. I did notice in your link....that they mention it occured at room temp. This is new news to me. I have always heard that heat was the catalyst in the leaching process. Don't wash bottle in dishwasher! I'm no chemist, but if you taste plastic from your bottle...aren't you eating plastic? The Poly bottles taste horrible. There is no taste from lexan....are you eating plastic then? You can get a Sigg aluminum bottle that is coated on the inside to protect from the issues of consuming aluminium. The Sigg bottles cost around 16.00 to 20.00 dollars!! Nalgene bottle are around 6.00 to 9.00 dollars. Soaps and detergents are basic in PH. Any sports drink would be acidic on the PH scale. If you are just drinking water and don't leave your bottle all closed up in your pack for a month to taste like mold.....and actually air dry them out when you get back from a trip I have my doubts about the leaching issue. Is this a bigger concern than the air we breathe downtown?

A few links:

The "OH MY GOD Bisphenol-A WILL KILL US ALL" side

The "everything is fine. We care about your health and would never do anything to harm you becuase we love you, dear consumer. Now go watch some TV" side

Here is my take home message:

Don't worry about this one bisphenol-A thing. Yes, it is probably bad for you, but you can make other changes in your life that will have a much bigger positive impact on your health than not drinking from a nalgene. Namely: stop smoking. Drink in moderation. Avoid prepacked, "enriched", and highly-processed foods. Eat organic, whole, fresh, and varied food as much as availability and your budget allow. Drink lots of water (preferably from a glass vessel). Get lots of exercise. Spend more time in clean environments (clean air and water) such as the North Cascades. Spend less time spraying on cc.com.

wave.gif

My answer to this has been to use stainless steel when practical. Klean Kanteen (see www.kleankanteen.com) has a 22 oz. bottle that is rugged and relatively light. Sigg has a small 12 oz. mug that I really like for cold and hot drinks ( see http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Sigg-Metro-Mug.html ). It travels well and is also rugged and relatively light.

Otherwise, it's a pretty tough battle. I mean what isn't packaged in plastic these daze?

Under "Who We Are" on the Bisphenol A web page:

"This web site is sponsored by the Bisphenol A Global Industry Group of the American Plastics Council; the Association of Plastics Manufacturers in Europe; and the Japan Chemical Industry Association."

The site would probably be equally useful (and truthful) if it re-routed all links on the page back to that sentence.

Without reading any of the links, I think this one has already been around the block a few years ago. The (original) writer issued a retraction because tests were not done on food grade product.

The bigger issue might be the use of lexan for bottled mineral water. The material is of a lower quality (not meant to be re-used) and water may stay in such for months prior to consumption.