• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
colt45

silvretta 400 vs 404

Anyone know the difference between these two models of binding? I can't find any info about the 400 but I found some for sale online, and from photos they look similar to the 404.

The 404's have a upgraded heel lock down. you can disengage the heel lock with a push of a ski pole. With the 400, you have to either be handy with the pole, or use your hand to swivel the heel lock latch. It seems like there are more parts for the 404 heels out there.

It seems like there are more parts for the 404 heels out there.

Then the 400's must have NO parts listed anywhere. I have the 404s and have a hard time finding much for them. Anyone know a source for poons? Pretty sure they exist (seem to recall seeing a picture or two), but can't find much for the 404 in general.

Thanks for the info, I just picked up some 404s on ebay. I was at the marmot store recently and they have a box of replacement parts for 404's behind the counter in their rental department, although I don't recall if they had crampons.

Doesn't the heel piece on the 400 come completely off with a release, and on the 404 it stays attached?

Anybody interested in 404's theres a pair at Next Adventure in PDX, $45 I think.

The heel release mech. is the same on both (ie: they both come completly out.) But the difference is in the heel lock down (ski/tour mode)