REI appreciation thread:

underworld

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a member since 1976. No stores just catalog. I try not to forget that since I am a member I am an owner (sort of). I complained in writing just the other day about the dismal lack of mens randonnee boots. Got a call back from a manager and thanks from floor staff, and they got more boots on the shelf, Scarpa Spirit in particular. REI isn't Wal-Mart, I think they listen. Since I go in the mother store often, I tell every manager I see to not forget the core, Climb, Camp, Ski, Bike. I've been told that climbing is only 3% of sales. In that case they need to hear that that 3% is important and they should do something to increase it, just like they do for dog stuff and kites and stuff lack that, that I wish they wouldn't sell either, but that's the way it is. And you can't beat that return policy.

3% is sales reflects neglect and failure by the company as much as it does disinterest of the consumers. The company decides what to sell. The corporate-minded would sell heroin if it were economically feasible, and then despise your small-minded protest against their right to practice capitalism.
"Economically feasible?" Of course it would be economically feasible. yelrotflmao.gif

I find it funny that most of the posts of persons bitching about REI start with "I was in a REI yesterday and didnt like blah, blah, blah". If you dont like the store, stay out!

Whats to complain about?

Say you are heading to Indian Creek or Red Rocks and need a couple more friends in the fist size. You decide that you will check online first since they have a better selection than in the store. This just happened to me and I'm still in shock.

And Awe.

Shock and awe for sure.

Do it and see for yourself. Type http://www.REI.com and search "friend" or "Friends".

yelrotflmao.gif

OK, I gotta give it up for you, this is what you get, no shit, no joke, no troll:

"Danny First Forest Friends

$12.00 Item 747469

Danny First Forest Friends -

Click for larger view.

Related Products

You might also like...

687137 Danny First Camping Set $35.00

691100 Danny First Born To Hike $20.00

Useful Links

• Shipping Charges

• Delivery Date Finder

• Ordering Help/FAQs

• Contact Us

• Sizing Info

• 100% Guarantee

E-mail this page.

Place Your Order Here

1. Color/Size Info:

2. Choose quantity:

Product Info:

Danny First Forest Friends

See specs below

A deer, a skunk and a squirrel introduce your young one to the world of wonderful Forest Friends.

* Play set includes the three animals, a tree stump and a log

* Squirrel and skunk fit into a hole in the stump, giving your child an idea how animals of the forest live in their natural environment

* Makes a wonderful accompaniment to the Born to Hike and Camping play sets"

910264.jpg

What size crack do you stuff that friggan Moose into BTW?

You may be surprised they don't have any climbing gear called Wild Country Friends, Technical Friends, Flexible Friends or any of that kick assed Wild Country stuff like EVERY OTHER GDAMN CLIMBING CATALOG SITE AND SHOP .

You can't blame me either, in the old days when our votes still counted, and it wasn't a "board nominated crony", I always voted for climbers to the board, most of the rest of you voted for the Friggan business majors who like to go for "long walks on the beach and hiking and biking". If I couldn't vote for a climber cause there wasn't one, I voted for the candidate who sounded like the most active and intereted in getting us a broad range of gear. We as a group let those values go in place of money. cry.gif

So this is the end result of those votes. Your choice of friends is a plastic play toy group made in China BUT sold with a nice margin so the balance sheet looks good. Whoop-de-friggan-do.

My point, go to your local shops for real climbing gear.

I'm voting for Carl next write in, and maybe they will at least see what Carl stands for if enough of us do so.

Carl, whats your last name and REI number?

If you were looking for BDs, you'd do fine on the other hand. Certain things can only be found in specialty shops, but sometimes REI (and their return policy) makes a lot of sense. I bought some Garmont approach shoes at a local specialty shop, and blew a seam out of them on the very first wearing. I took them back to store (within 4 days of purchase), and they gave me the number for Garmont CS and the address to mail them in to....basically said "good luck.....maybe they will warranty them, maybe they won't, but you will be without them 4 - 6 weeks either way". Last time I bought a pair of shoes there. I've taken climbing gear back to REI a number times, and they've never so much as blinked an eye. Say what you want, but it's the return policy that keeps me coming back....I just accept the limitations of the selection.

Edited by ericb

3% is sales reflects neglect and failure by the company as much as it does disinterest of the consumers. The company decides what to sell. The corporate-minded would sell heroin if it were economically feasible, and then despise your small-minded protest against their right to practice capitalism.
"Economically feasible?" Of course it would be economically feasible. yelrotflmao.gif

No, no it wouldn't. rolleyes.gif They have thought of this, and for now, the best-selling drugs are fat, sugar, caffeine, and alcohol. The consumers and stupider and easier to come by.

Kind of like with kitschy adventure-themed apparel. You see REI has decided that there are more chubby sweettoothed yuppies who want to buy clothes, than there are hardcore junkie climbers looking for parapharnelia.

But the point is it doesn't really matter to REI what it sells, as long it is making money. They just have to have enough actual climbing gear hanging up to seduce the average metronatural into buying into the theme.

poll

REI is a (you may choose only one):

[ ] recreational equipment coop

[ ] money factory

• 2 weeks later...

I love how I bought a pair of backpacking boots at REI 3 years ago, wore them on several backingpacking/hiking trips along with using them as somewhat all-purposed winter/wet weather shoes...until my feet somehow decided to grow a wee bit more, so I took my well-worn boots back to REI and exchanged them for a brand new pair of boots....I love it, I only have to buy things once, because once they wear out, or I grow out of them, I can just exchange them for new ones! Whoever came up with this "Return Every Item" policy is brilliant. sheer brilliance.

• 5 weeks later...

Whoever came up with this "Return Every Item" policy is brilliant. sheer brilliance

That gets me thinking... I bought a BD headlamp from REI about four years ago (maybe less, I can't remember) for climbing and backpacking...

Well, somehow it ended up in my work van, and I have been using it in the attics, and crawlspaces in pursuit of my job (however you take that) and it's beat to shit. I mean beat. Well, the LED part isnt working so well anymore (loose connection or something) should I return it and see what they say? 100% satisfaction right? Well, I guess that I AM NOT SATISFIED, because this is a "Black Diamond Product" it should of lasted forever, right? Regradless of abuse/use I give it?

Is it worth a toss, or just be a man, and buy a new one...

Return policy is the only thing going. They sure as hell ain't a co-op anymore. A couple of years ago they took in more money in memberships than what was collected by "members" in dividends (check out their stats). I haven't followed it since then. The uncollected dividends go back into the company not spread out throughout their "members"

If it was a true co-op then we would get a dividend based on their profits not on what we don't purchase on sale (no dividend)with a cc or debit card (8% return). You would think that a company with profits that large would not penalize their "members" for using a credit card to buy a kayak or some other high end item. Did you ever notice that sale items are always 10-20% off which is equal to your dividend amount you would get back if sale items were dividenable??

only you can answer that question

But I was looking for all of your wise imput on the matter. Am I taking advantage of thier policy, or amI being realistic that I am not "satisfied" after I beat the thing to death?

I have heard of people returing helmets that where ripped in two and other goofy stuff like that, does this fall into the same "stupid" catagory?

Should I also return the broken candle lantern glass insert I broke because I stepped on it? I guess they are the ones that draw the line on that kind of nonsense?

Who really owns REI??

Return policy is the only thing going. They sure as hell ain't a co-op anymore. A couple of years ago they took in more money in memberships than what was collected by "members" in dividends (check out their stats). I haven't followed it since then. The uncollected dividends go back into the company not spread out throughout their "members"

If it was a true co-op then we would get a dividend based on their profits not on what we don't purchase on sale (no dividend)with a cc or debit card (8% return). You would think that a company with profits that large would not penalize their "members" for using a credit card to buy a kayak or some other high end item. Did you ever notice that sale items are always 10-20% off which is equal to your dividend amount you would get back if sale items were dividenable??

Who really owns REI??

Just curious....

How well stocked are the flagship stores (Denver, Seattle)?

Do they have ice tools? Leashless?

How deep is the stock of non-Black Diamond or non-Petzl gear do they display?

Do they stock Tele gear?

Do they sell any big wall specific stuff out there (other than Jumars?)

• 2 weeks later...

The answer to the above questions is yes. yes. Not a lot but they do carry Omega Pacific and Metolius. Very deep. And Yes they sell tons of big wall stuff such as angles, pitons, ascenders, etc...Now to talk to all the nay sayers against REI would like to point out a couple of facts. First though REI is a camping, climbing, kayaking, biking, etc... each store in different areas are catered to the primary pursuits in that area. Por example, the Tri-cities store is geared towards to canoeing, kayaking, camping, and biking because these are main activities that can be found in the MN area. The reason they don't have much climbing stuff is because 1) there isn't a whole lot of outside climbing to be found there 2) Because of that not a whole lot of people are going buy cams. There are REI stores that have nothing but biking, camping, a little climbing stuff because those are the primary pursuits that go on in that area. Don't believe checkout the selection of kayaks at the Denver store sometime. They have them but it small compared to their biking, climbing, and backpacking. Same goes for the one in Bend, OR. They have shit load of biking stuff, I mean it is almost the whole floor, quite a bit of climbing stuff absolutely no kayaking/canoeing stuff...Why because nobody does that shit in the area. So in short the reason you cannot find a sales person that knows shit about your double boots is because only three people actually do that activity in your area. You want an REI with tons of climbing stuff move to an area with tons of climbing. Also to the people quoting REI's work record and how good they are trying working there sometime. Though it does has benefits, I have worked there and it isn't as great as the magazines would make you think. Just like any other large company with a huge work force there is a lot political bullshit and drama that goes on at REI.

• 1 month later...

FYI - REI Seattle had a whole bunch of WC Tech Friends in Stock as of 2/13/07 or so - so it looks like they've upped the cam assortment by one.

On a side note - I was in the North Vancouver MEC this weekend and the place just KILLS any store here in WA - the climbing gear wall took me at least 5 minutes to scan through - they had EVERYTHING. AND FIXE hangers are $2 CN = that's a LOT less than the @.75 in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea,.. it is abit repetative, these gripes and groans about how REI just isn't hard core enough anymore. Just a bunch of brainless lackies peddling climbing goods and ArcTeryx 3ply to dog walkers and professional coffee shoppers. But I just can't see the use in it all, it's a store. If your local shop was able to get a spot in the market like REI, i regret to inform you, that 20 some years later your staff would be showered, your selection would be tailored, and there would be posable snowboard action figures nex to the register.

Ranting,... yes, but the fact remains that REI has been around long enough to have an associated community of people who need more than intricacies and spot products that only 1 in 3000 require. NOT saying that that 1 is any less important than any other, just harder(more expensive)to accomodate. They are a great spot for base level gear up, let the more particular parts of your gear chest come from the support of your local shop. REI is good for the environment, and non profits nation wide, not to mention the used gear sales and return policy. Use it for what it is, don't waste time bitching.

Ranting, me, ...

I don't intend to sound like a tool, this is just a late night rant, bitch all you like!!

• 3 weeks later...