REI appreciation thread:

underworld

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some kind of asolo goretex, high top, gnarly backpack boot (model unknown except it was $190 normally) for $49 cause someone thought the shoe cut the laces too easily. I wonder if people return things then go back to buy it at the reduced price to save the bucks.

also a small butane stove that didn't work for $5, returned to distributor for a new one. Too easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I had to explain to a REI associate that a Gregory Denali Pro carries more then a Gregory Lassen (the only pack they had over 4000in3). Then when I asked if they had any double boots, the REI associate and I quote "what are those". I walked out right then, made a promise never to return to any of their stores or buy from them again. This was store in North Chicago

• 2 weeks later...

So, REI may have a rockin' return policy but they should stop selling themselves as anything like a climber's store. Was in the flagship store on Sunday killing time and wanted to look at some mountaineering boots to replace my 10 year old Scarpas. They had NOTHING ON DISPLAY. Nada. They didn't even have any in stock. That's just sad. Yeah I know...I can order it and return it if I don't like it but that's just shite. They give some crap about how it's 'expensive' to carry. BS. Can't spare a few square feet for some boots but we can have the WorldWraps and the Art Wolfe photogasm and the fake climbing penis and the empty cathedral ceilings. That they can afford. madgo_ron.gif

I would, but one of you would probably convict me of spamming your mail box. Besides, you wouldn't listen. You like your acorn slippers, don't ya?

No, I'm the person who was trying to organize a writein BOD canidacy here to change REI policies (and selfishly, $20k a year for 2 days a month work would be a sweet gig) and was shutdown and shatupon here. Fuck REI, and fuck all you who think it will change. The BOD has changed the rules to eliminate any say by the owners (10k+ member sigs to be a writein, cap of 2 writeins total on the BOD, other BS) making it their personal fiefdom. Climbing and Coop are marketing spiel. It's Barnes & Noble for biners.

as much as you'd like rei to be another 'core' gear shop, it won't be. it's not their business anymore and it would probably put them out of business if they tried. things change, and the fact that they still have a little bit of climbing gear - doesn't mean they should have alllll the climbing gear.

Returned some ancient and abandoned stuff after reading this thread. 'Twas sweet. But hey, I'd be glad to help anyone who wanted to change REI back to an outdoors store, not a fashion shop. Or how about a shop which produces its house brand in the States, or Canada, or somewhere where they don't use slave labor?

But $367 in returns -> a better stove, a better pad. That is nice. (The returned stuff had never been used... gotta try to be decent).

• 8 months later...

alright... y'all are the same... all these REI haters... all the same stupid reasons... Oh no! REI is just as evil as Wal-Mart... WAHHHH! All the REI haters are quick to talk bad about them, and not mention the good.. that is how it always goes. They are consistently voted as a top company to work for... they give part time employees health care coverage! Who else does that? (starbucks does)... they give a ton of money to local groups like the boy scouts and girl scouts... so before you go off on a rampage about how REI is the bane of all existance, maybe you should do a little research and see what good they do. I think that in the sense that they are integral in gearing people up to do what they love, they have some saving graces.

REI does have a lot going for it, especially that they are the only remotely climbing-related shop in the Tri-Cities. It is sad that they're moving away from climbing in general though. However, it's a stupid, lame excuse that it's not profitable. It's only not profitable because they've neglected the real climber community and we rarely shop there for climbing supplies anymore, so even if they put stuff on the shelf it won't sell enough to justify stocking it. There's too many little guys who, with the advent of the internet, can and do compete very well. REI would really have to turn itself into a true Wal-Mart and start carrying everything imagineable at discount regular prices if they wanted to start selling climbing stuff as a profitable sector.

alright... y'all are the same... all these REI haters... all the same stupid reasons... Oh no! REI is just as evil as Wal-Mart... WAHHHH! All the REI haters are quick to talk bad about them, and not mention the good.. that is how it always goes. They are consistently voted as a top company to work for... they give part time employees health care coverage! Who else does that? (starbucks does)... they give a ton of money to local groups like the boy scouts and girl scouts... so before you go off on a rampage about how REI is the bane of all existance, maybe you should do a little research and see what good they do. I think that in the sense that they are integral in gearing people up to do what they love, they have some saving graces.

which store do you work for? how high up the ladder are you?? wink.gif