[TR] Banff- Cascade Falls 1/6/2006

ckouba

Climb: Banff-Cascade Falls

Date of Climb: 1/6/2006

Trip Report:

Goods time were had by all.

Cruised to the Great (not-quite-so) White North last week for a 2 day blitz with DonnV, vw4ever, and Rodney. Two days of frozen fun ensued.

First day was at Cascade Falls.

The Falls:

339P1010055-med.JPG

The sunrise:

339P10100181-med.JPG

The gang gearing up (vw4ever Chad, DonnV, Rodney):

339P1010012-med.JPG

Rodney leading out:

339P1060005-med.JPG

Chad leading out the last pitch:

339P1010028-med.JPG

Action shot of the last pitch:

339P1060025-med.JPG

(Photo by DonnV)

Me cleaning up:

339P1060041-med.JPG

(Photo by DonnV)

Second day at Haffner Creek was really fun as well. More pics to come as they are in Rodney's and Donn's cameras.

Gear Notes:

Exactly what you think you should bring... No surprises.

Approach Notes:

Can't beat 10m to base of Cascade! Haffner was worth finding as well, not difficult if you know where to look.

Edited to fix links to full size pics.

Edited by ckouba

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few more pics. Thanks to all these guys for a great trip, and especially to ckouba for his ironman stint behind the wheel. And thanks for the beta and suggestions, Kurt. Cascade was a kick!

Rodney coming up the WI3 pitch on Cascade Falls

664RodneyCascade1.JPG

Doing laps on TR at Haffner

664LowerHaffner.JPG

More ice and mixed and DT lines at Haffner

664UpperHaffner.JPG

ckouba on some mixed stuff at Haffner

664CKoubaMixed.JPG

664CKoubaMixed2.JPG

vw4ever leading and TR'ing at Haffner

664ChadHaffner.JPG

664ChadHaffner2.JPG

Rodney TR'ing at Haffner

664RodneyHaffner.JPG

Thanks, Chris! Here's some more pics. The wild animals at the Rocky Mountain Inn:

4625Canmore002.jpg

4625Canmore003.jpg

1st pitch of Cascade Falls:

4625Canmore007.JPG

Chris and Mt. Rundle:

4625Canmore011.JPG

Chris starting out the WI3 money pitch of Cascade. It got a bit spicier and thinner than this, for sure tongue.gif

4625Canmore015.JPG

To the Haffner Creek area. Donn here practice leading steep stuff. He'd already done some other proud (real)leading to the left of this:

4625Canmore028.jpg

Here I am TRing an overhanging section of pillar. Chris had done a great job on the mixed ground to the left; I wanted to see what it would be like to stay purely on the ice; much harder than I thought. Both tools ripped out of the chandaliered stuff a couple moves above this.

4625Canmore037.JPG

A couple of pics to overview the Haffner area. There was some neat looking bolted dry tool routes around that people were doing. Looked pretty hard.

4625Canmore045.jpg

4625Canmore046.jpg

Here's Rodney, mixing it up.

4625Canmore048.jpg

Awesome trip! The moderate stuff was mostly in; the harder, thinner stuff, we heard, was not in good shape. It was supposed to get cold again, though, so maybe some of it will form up again. bigdrink.gif

Thanks, Kurt!

I also thank all who posted on the thread, when I was asking about accomodations and moderate ice suggestions, and to Alex for his suggestions, as well. It all helped!

FYI, the Akai would've been a good deal, but they decided to raise the rate to 100 bucks for us CDN, for some reason, after quoting us 70 on the phone (they knew that there were four of us). We went down to the Rocky Mountain, and paid less than 70 CDN, with the help of an AAA card. wink.gif

Awesome trip! The moderate stuff was mostly in; the harder, thinner stuff, we heard, was not in good shape. It was supposed to get cold again, though, so maybe some of it will form up again. bigdrink.gif

Although some of the south facing climb were out of shape, there were still plenty of harder climbs good to go. I just got back from there and we climbed Cascade Kronenbourg, Carlsberg Column, Borgeaux right, and Kitty Hawk. They were all in great shape, especially the beer climbs.

Did we see you guys at the base of Guiness Gully when we were leaving Field Thursday evening?

Nice pics! thumbs_up.gif

Kurt-

Yeah, both Donn and I were "focused" and went right by the set of bolts. We ended up simul-ing just when it got spicy over the last step. Rather commiting... We laughed at each other when we saw them as we were rapping down.

Good times and thanks for the excellent tip!

CK