119thai_food_sm_-med.jpg

some monkeys

119Monkey_Boy_sm_-med.jpg

and some climbing

119Minnesota_sm_1-med.jpg

119Minnesota_3_sm_-med.jpg

119kristin_and_storm_sm_-med.jpg

119Kristin_on_Tufa_sm_-med.jpg

Basically its a climbing paradise. Steep walls, huge jugs, and soft grades. Christened the 2nd annual climbing honeymoon. Two weeks is WAAYY too short for this place. Plan for at least a month - preferably much much more.

Notes for Thailand:

- Plan to sweat

- Bring a rag and your worst tee-shirts.

- Take slings and old rope to donate for protection and climbing anchors

- Try to plan trip for sometime other than XMas/NYE holiday. Euro families everywhere. Higher prices. Still no real waits for climbing.

Gear Notes:

14 draws, 60 m rope

Approach Notes:

4 flights, a minibus ride and a longboat ride

119Sunset_4_sm_-med.jpg

Edited by Winter

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could climb trad there if you wanted, but there aren't that many lines, and it isn't really worth it to bring the gear unless you want to go exploring on a boat/motorcycle/car. Most of the routes protect with a combination of bolts and slings passed through holes in the limestone. There were perfectly good cracks that had been bolted.

You could climb trad there if you wanted, but there aren't that many lines, and it isn't really worth it to bring the gear unless you want to go exploring on a boat/motorcycle/car. Most of the routes protect with a combination of bolts and slings passed through holes in the limestone. There were perfectly good cracks that had been bolted.

right on sounds a little bit like the limestone in sinks canyon in wyoming. i would go in there with a rack and just push my limits knowing that there would always be a bolt within reach cool.gif

Spent a month there myself right b4 the tsunami. How did everything look, we were pretty shocked after it hit. We stayed at Ton Sai (Ralay) and did as much climbing as the muscles allowed. What a great place to go. We also spent a week or so in Chaing Mai in the north, a beautiful city filled with Buddhist temples and incredible food. Nice pics though, brings me back to our trip.

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree. There is huge potential for trad climbing there, some of the best I've ever done. Every formation and many new routes was first climbed trad style, cams, nuts and kevlar slings to thread pockets (kevlar is stiffer and easier to thread one handed while hanging off some tufa pumped stupid than tubular webbing...

In short, fun, dangerous, exciting trad climbing. And afterwords it gets bolted into submission for the fun of the masses. But you could still go to Tonsai or Rai Ley today and not climb out the trad and new route potential in a year.

Any semi obscure wall back in the jungle with only a handful of routes is waiting for your cams and hooks and machete action, get after it.